300 RUM Load Testing For Accuracy

thanks reelamin. sounds like you don't settle on bullets that don't shoot accurate at high velocities either. that's why the 210 isn't my choice for what I do. someone else on here was wanting to entertain the 210 for a fit the mag hunting load. I was succsessfull making accurate only at lower velocities than what other bullets come together at in my gun. thought I would share it to help out. the 210 seems to come together around the same speed using 2 different powders (about 3025fps) in mine. the 208 holds pretty well at 3175fps. when I heat em up to about 3300, ive not had luck with accuracy with any of the powders ive tried. maybe twist rate issue?? any way, sounds like you have best of both worlds there.

thanks reelamin. sounds like you don't settle on bullets that don't shoot accurate at high velocities either. that's why the 210 isn't my choice for what I do. someone else on here was wanting to entertain the 210 for a fit the mag hunting load. I was succsessfull making accurate only at lower velocities than what other bullets come together at in my gun. thought I would share it to help out. the 210 seems to come together around the same speed using 2 different powders (about 3025fps) in mine. the 208 holds pretty well at 3175fps. when I heat em up to about 3300, ive not had luck with accuracy with any of the powders ive tried. maybe twist rate issue?? any way, sounds like you have best of both worlds there.
mountaincarver,
Speed is not the "be all or end all". ACCURACY is. Work to tune the seating depth and velocity to what your rifle likes to try to get the velocity you need to have the round going at least 1800 feet per second at the target that applies at least 1100 foot pounds of force. These are the STATED INDUSTRY MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR HUNTING BULLETS. Your 300RUM should be able to exceed these at 1000 yards with no problem with the 230 or 210 grain bullets. Also keep in mind that more velocity equals more recoil applied to you and more wear on your rifle. A slow powder in that 28 inch barrel you have is "free horsepower" keep that in mind as you go through the testing process with other powders as you go along. Also keep in mind the old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it!" lol !!

Thanks for understanding what I posted. I find a bullet/load my guns will shoot ACCURATELY at maximum velocity. I don't make my gun shoot the bullet "I WANT". There are all kinds of quality bullets available, and you may be suprised at what your rifle likes. God Forbid it shoots cheap $20/100 BTSP's at maximum velocity into one hole! Try it you might be suprised.
Why even buy or build a certain caliber capable of 3500fps, but down load it to a 3000fps load? Its like buying a 500hp car and never going above 2500rpm in first gear. If that is what you want...buy a Pacer not a mustang. Then again I believe you can buy what you want, and shoot it how you want. LOL...but that is just my opinion.
Load it to the max and find what it likes dont force feed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.