300 PRC -- Proof Barrel Questions?

lhp63190

I've started collecting parts for a 300 PRC build as a dedicated elk/bear/moose/large plains game hunting rifle. I want to build it on a mid-weight platform (10 lbs w/ scope) and shoot Berger 215's with a velocity goal of 3000 FPS. Planning to use a Proof Research barrel but this will be my first build with a proof barrel. Below are a couple of questions:

Sendero vs Light Sendero -- Planning to build on a Gunwerks Magnus stock which will accept either. Only a couple ounces difference in the two, any significant (dis)advantages either way?

24" vs 26" -- Ideally, I'd like to build this on a 24" barrel but am concerned about getting to my desired velocity goals. Also, I was planning to use H1000 but could look at N570 if it would help me get to 3000 w/ 24" barrel. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I built my 300prc with Proof barrel. 26" Sendero contour. Have exactly 100 rounds of Hornady factory 212ELD_X ammo thru it. Shoots great.Am surprised at the factory ammo, will shoot one hole groups. Only stretched it out to 715 yards so far but results are very good. Haven't started reloading for it yet.

When I called and asked Proof if there were any noticeable hunting performance differences, the engineer said no. I have 24" sendero 6mm cm and a 24" sendero lite on my 7mm blaser

I went 28" Sendero and with factory loads, the gun sure makes me look good!

With Elite Manners stock, Kelbly and AMG, I am at 10.25lbs

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.