300 Norma Improved/230 Berger and Africa

Here's my best advice and I've hunted Africa six times and have shot over a hundred plains game animals. ONE had to take two shots and ranges were anywhere between 200 and 700. Have never used anything bigger than a 7mm shooting 168 Bergers HVLDs. Most were with 6.5s with 130 gr Bergers.

Don't listen to anyone who hasn't been to and hunted Africa.
Don't listen to anyone who HAS NOT shot Berger bullets in Africa (or anywhere else for that matter).
Don't listen to anyone who says Barnes bullets are the ticket in Africa.
Don't listen to what your PH has to say about bullet selection. Most in Africa are stuck in the cup & core philosophy because that's what grandad used.
Don't believe the myth that African plains game animals are tougher. Hit them in the right spot, they're going to die, quickly.
Don't listen to horror stories about taking wildcats and ammo being lost. This is EXTREMELY rare. Same goes for other horror stories related by people that have probably never hunted out of their home state but they "heard" about some guy who lost his ammo. Do your homework and use a travel agency that specializes in Africa hunting like Gracy Travel or Travel Express and get the meet & greet package. You'll breeze through the loops easier than you would in the states.
Get TSA/Pre-Global Traveler, same as above, it greases the skids.

Good luck but be forewarned, there is no worse hunting addiction than Africa.
Great advice! I used Gracy Travel too years ago, 2004-'05 when I worked in Africa. Pay for express services and let them take care of getting your guns/ammo thru customs. Go a day or two in advance and spend the night in Joburg before going on to Botswana for the Jet lag, or lost luggage. Fly non-stop from the US on South African Airlines to RSA, and never fly thru the UK with your guns/ammo to Africa!

If you lose your ammo you'll be left using Outfitter's loaner rifle and ammo unless you bring a common caliber. I used a 30-06, a 375 H&H, and a 458 Lott for that reason.... The Lott can fire a 458 WM in it's chamber and that ammo is everywhere but that was a long time ago. My '06 shot 200 gr Oryx bullets, and Woodleigh 220 FMJ to the same POA/POI for just in case backup scenarios! You would not believe what one of those is capable of doing on a frontal brain shot to a Buff at less than 2,500 fps!

The 300 NM is a great long range round! I built one six years ago off a TRG-42, it's great for sure but I'd take another rifle since mine is way to heavy and long. Most shots will be under 250-350 yards unless you plan it out with your PH and make an effort to do long shots. I've seen a lot of game go down over their under 50 yards and a few feet away in dense cover for Bushbuck, and Waterbuck. Learn to shoot off sticks forsure, that's what every PH uses..... They are very fast to set up for a shot, he'll adjust them for your height and the shot needed. It's usually fast paced shooting so be prepared for that,

Maybe this won't matter to you or not but have good boots you can walk in all day and not have your feet get sore. It will get cold at night and hot during the day too in Botswana, plus has some high elevation depending on where you will be?

Botswana had a lot of Game years ago, Elephants everywhere, more dong on the hwy than anywhere in Southern Africa!

You'll have a lot of fun, great place to hunt, good luck!

If you haven't already booked you travel arrangements I would recommend Travel with Guns out of Texas as well. they have set up both of my trips and everything went flawlessly. The booked the flights, hotels on both ends, the service to get the guns taken care of a guy to meet us at the airport to help get through customs. they have been great to deal with. https://twg.travel/about/

My 2 cents. Last time I went I shot bergers and guy I went with shot accubonds. Next time I go I'll be shooting accubonds or Barnes tsx or lrx.

Why on earth would you ever shoot a mono unless you live in a crazy state like california that requires it? There is no advantage. I know people on here drink the hammer coolaid, but at the end of the day there is nothing special about them other than the owners are a paid sponsor of the site. If you want a tougher bullet than a berger, why not an Aframe or an accubond or a partition?

Just my 2 cents

1990s
Original new barnes 225 x bullet in 338 win mag @ 2950 fps from a 26inch barrel plus a 4inch brake

1 bear 3 elk 13 deer all of them lieing dead within 3ft of where they were shot 1 time

17 one shot kills, drt from 15ft to 700 yards away

Never had another bullet caliber combo come close to that performance...

Btw 338 win mag 250 partition was ALMOST as good @ 2750fps from a 23" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.