300 Norma Improved/230 Berger and Africa

Take heed of the caution on ammunition in an earlier post. I brought ammunition with me last year but I am going again this coming June but will travel with rifle only. I shoot a .308 win and ammunition is readily available.
Consider a common medium calibre rifle and check factoryammunition availability with your PH before you make travel plans. I never shot eland but friends of mine dropped them with 140gr 6.5x55 at 200 mtrs.
If it were me I would practice shot placement on large game targets relentlessly before travelling.

I certainly can not speak for everyone but my PHs only had a problem with Bergers out of ignorance. As in they had not been around them. I have honestly lost track of the number of game I have killed with Berger or personally witnessed and I have seen zero not do the job. I find it very difficult to believe I am just that lucky. I have on the other hand seen mono just blaze right through game without doing much damage. I don't like tracking. I have only seen two animals shot with a Berger run more than 30-40 yards and both of those were spraying blood everywhere. To each their own.

I agree. Most people who have issues with Berger bullets either have never used them or have very limited experience with them. One poorly placed shot on an animal and they want to blame the bullet. Of course they'll never admit they made a poor shot...

I have shot tons of animals with Berger bullets since they first hit the market and never had one fail me on game. Like you, I also find it very hard to believe I'm just THAT lucky ;)

I think that you should eat your cage free egg and all the rest of your organic *Rule 4 Violation* and I will out live you and the rest of you liberal *Rule 4 Violation* tards

Your post is why I left another sight. I hope I live to be a hundred in good health and you bet that. Enjoy your life.

Heading to Africa next year for plains game. Smallest being impala and largest an eland. Thinking about taking 300 Norma Improved that is dialed in with 230 gr Bergers at 2970 fps as a mild load.

I have read multiple places that PHs in Africa don't like Berger bullets to be used. Does anyone have any experience around Berger's in Africa especially the 230 hybrid? Would I be better off working up something different like maybe a 215 Hammer or something else?

Have you considered using Barnes TTSX? I have killed a dozen Gembsbok, a dozen Springbox, Eland, and a Kudu using that bullett and it performs wonderfully.

As a side note, whatever you choose I would encourage you to keep in mind that it is far more difficult traveling with ammo than just a rifle, and it is getting more difficult all the time. Be careful of the airlines you fly, and the flight route, as some arilines and countries (such as Amsterdam) require advance permitting to let ammo even pass through. Just know that there is a significant chance your ammo will not arrive in Africa on time, or possibly ever, as it must be shipped separate from your rifle and can get held up or magically disappear. I would simply encourage you to have a good backup plan because you will NOT be finidng replacement 300NI ammo in Africa.;)

Take heed of the caution on ammunition in an earlier post. I brought ammunition with me last year but I am going again this coming June but will travel with rifle only. I shoot a .308 win and ammunition is readily available.
Consider a common medium calibre rifle and check factoryammunition availability with your PH before you make travel plans. I never shot eland but friends of mine dropped them with 140gr 6.5x55 at 200 mtrs.
If it were me I would practice shot placement on large game targets relentlessly before travelling.

Take ammo. The horror stories and worries about ammo are unfounded. Availability in some countries is non-existent or $10.00 a round and up IF you can find it. Ammo goes in checked bags. If they get lost, likely you're in more trouble than just losing ammo. Take the ammo that is accurate in your rifle. Some of the ammo I've seen in outfitter's lockers has turned green. Depending on your outfitter for ammo can result in lost animals and more $$$$.

This is my first trip to Africa. Kudu is key animal for me.

I went to S Africa in May 2015 w/ a Ruger 77 in 30-06; 35 hand loads of 165 Nos BT's and 15 Berger 168 VLD. Both shot @ 1 3/4" high & within 1/8 inch of each other @ 100. My Kudu was uphill at 30 degree +/-, moving slowly away @ 195 yards and harvested w/1 shot of 165 BT. He walked 15 yards and dropped. Estimated weight was 650 #, and took 7 men to bring it down the hill. I received a full head mount and was well worth it. (Picture available).

Due to the ever changing laws here and in Africa, I highly recommend you hire a PH early, and a Company to handle plane reservations and do all paperwork for entry into Africa. You can contact me @ [email protected] We started 9 months in advance. Dan't forget US Customs for rifle and ammo. Tonto 40

Heading to Africa next year for plains game. Smallest being impala and largest an eland. Thinking about taking 300 Norma Improved that is dialed in with 230 gr Bergers at 2970 fps as a mild load.

I have read multiple places that PHs in Africa don't like Berger bullets to be used. Does anyone have any experience around Berger's in Africa especially the 230 hybrid? Would I be better off working up something different like maybe a 215 Hammer or something else?
I have a friend who is a PH in South Africa. He despises Berger bullets. He uses "Pettigrew" or something like that.

Contrary to popular belief I've found that PH's are human too :). Of the three we had in our camp one liked Barnes TSX, one liked Woodleigh (which the first despised) and least surprising, the oldest PH loved Swift A-frames.

On a side note we had no trouble transporting our ammo whatsoever. The only thing was they asked us to remove it and weigh it as they had a 5 kg restriction.

werth338,

Hope you have a wonderful trip. We work with a few outfitters now and hopefully will be supplying some PH outfits. We are schedule for an SA trip because it is the only place we can take our silencers!

We have shot many types of bullets. Our PH contacts say the same about Bergers. We agree. Not a bullet I would take with me. They shoot great but performing on animals, they do not align with our preferences.

Our bullet choices need to mushroom, stay together as much as possible, and pentrate in a straight line. We like through and throughs on most game.

My recommendation is for you to take Nosler Accubonds. Tough bullets, a little harder than the Partitions and higher BC's. I know you can only get a 200gr model but think it will serve well. My Second choice would be Swift. Hope that helps.

V/r,

Richie

"Send It, Quietly"

Have personally shot 6 big eland bulls. 308 will definitely do the job with good bullet, that will penetrate, not a sierra gk! I prefer barnes but something like it will work. They are large 1500 lb range, and tough but put a good bullet behind shoulder or through the shoulder you will be fine.

My ph has seen me kill everything i have shot at with bergers, mostly 168 vld in 7wsm and this last trip 195 vld in 28 nosler. They all died, FAST. That 230 in a norma should be great, but i still wouldnt use for extreme raking shots or shoulder on big animals like eland.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.