300 Norma Improved/230 Berger and Africa

werth338

Heading to Africa next year for plains game. Smallest being impala and largest an eland. Thinking about taking 300 Norma Improved that is dialed in with 230 gr Bergers at 2970 fps as a mild load.

I have read multiple places that PHs in Africa don't like Berger bullets to be used. Does anyone have any experience around Berger's in Africa especially the 230 hybrid? Would I be better off working up something different like maybe a 215 Hammer or something else?

Heading to Africa next year for plains game. Smallest being impala and largest an eland. Thinking about taking 300 Norma Improved that is dialed in with 230 gr Bergers at 2970 fps as a mild load.

I have read multiple places that PHs in Africa don't like Berger bullets to be used. Does anyone have any experience around Berger's in Africa especially the 230 hybrid? Would I be better off working up something different like maybe a 215 Hammer or something else?

I shot all my game with 230 hybrids this last trip. They performed just I would expect a Berger to perform. I have shot plenty of African game and I just don't buy that they are any more tough than North American game. If you put the bullet where it is supposed to go the 230 will hammer game.

As a side note, whatever you choose I would encourage you to keep in mind that it is far more difficult traveling with ammo than just a rifle, and it is getting more difficult all the time. Be careful of the airlines you fly, and the flight route, as some arilines and countries (such as Amsterdam) require advance permitting to let ammo even pass through. Just know that there is a significant chance your ammo will not arrive in Africa on time, or possibly ever, as it must be shipped separate from your rifle and can get held up or magically disappear. I would simply encourage you to have a good backup plan because you will NOT be finidng replacement 300NI ammo in Africa.;)

What was the closest animal you shot with 230s and what range?

I shot my sable at maybe 75 yards? It did not make it more than 10 yards. I shot a blesbok at 10 yards he was dead before he hit the ground. Not even a twitch. I killed my waterbuck at 400 ish yards(don't remember the exact number). I shot my Lechwe at 350. It was very windy and I hit the front of the lung and he required a followup. My fault not the bullets. Springbok was 100 ish yard and he was dead before he hit the ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.