300 Norma build.

haisardao

Question for the group, I have a Remington 700 LA with and a Remington bolt with Lapua Bolt Face. My question is if it's OK to build the rifle using this action or you something like RUM feed lips etc. I've had rifles build in the last but never one of these big bores. Any input is appreciated.

Our litigious society often creates situations where most follow along like lemmings since to do otherwise might incur the wrath of their insurance company. :eek:

I happen to like and use the Norma Magnums, 300 and 338, often. But, like so many others, I follow the line of thinking where I might and do use another action.

Talk to Pierce, I use their actions and am happy with the results.

Enjoy!

:)

I ended up with the Kelbly Nanook for my 300 Norma Improved just because I could. It has a bigger bore and longer throw. In fact the McMillan stock had to be trimed at the rear of the ejection port to match it's longer opening in the receiver so it would not cause ejection issues.
Remington built a 338 Lapua on the LA. Any distaste for doing a 338 Lapua, etc, in a LA Remington is personal since the strength is there. If strength were an issue for not using them we'd see pics of blown actions plastered on this and other forums. As far as I have seen any blown actions were user error, ie overloaded rounds.

I ended up with the Kelbly Nanook for my 300 Norma Improved just because I could. It has a bigger bore and longer throw. In fact the McMillan stock had to be trimed at the rear of the ejection port to match it's longer opening in the receiver so it would not cause ejection issues.
Remington built a 338 Lapua on the LA. Any distaste for doing a 338 Lapua, etc, in a LA Remington is personal since the strength is there. If strength were an issue for not using them we'd see pics of blown actions plastered on this and other forums. As far as I have seen any blown actions were user error, ie overloaded rounds.
Have you ever seen lug setback?

I have previous little personal experience with it. My thought is with modern materials and using pressure tested loads there would be no issue. COAL is the biggest issue I'd be concerned about.
What modern materials? You mean new CM or SS?
What pressure tested loads? For a 300NMI.
Like stated above I'd ask some good smiths on here about it.

Well thanks all, I just made a deal on a Kelbly Nanook Action for the build. Any barrel recommendations. Anything you would advise barrel wise? I'm thinking SS barrel, 26 inch finished length, Sendero/Varmit contour, Bartlein Barrel 1:9. Any thing different with the length of the Tenon?

Thanks again,