300 Norma Mag

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
What are the thoughts on building on different actions using the 300 Norma Mag as a parent cartridge?

Steve

Any action that can make it to Lapua Magnum can do the 300 Norma mag. There are too many that can to list.

As for making wildcats from the 300 Norma mag. Yes, yes, yes.

It screams for a 7mm. Super long bullet. With a neck length of .310 (.300 trimmed) when necked down the neck length will still be very close to bullet diameter.

Changing the shoulder taper and other mods are definite possibilities.

@Swamplord did some but starting from the 338 Norma mag, same thing really.

I found your comment in Rifles Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics.

I don't want to incur the wrath of the R700 lovers but....

I have never been comfortable with the R700 and Lapua mag/Norma mag bolt face. Just too little material left.

I did side by side testing of the xx-Noslers 2 built on Mark V actions 2 built on R700 actions. No matter how hot the load the Mark V never had "sticky bolt". Not the same for the R700 at the upper end of loads the R700 had to cool down and be given a hefty tap on the bolt to get it to lift. With that much expansion during the firing+expansion+bullet release cycle, less metal is not the direction I would go.

Not a professional gunsmith (yet?), have worked on R700 magnums.

What are the thoughts on building on different actions using the 300 Norma Mag as a parent cartridge?

Virtually every action advertised as being barreled for the .338 Lapua will work for the .300 Norma Magnum. The choices within those actions are weight and the number of lugs. All of the custom makers have a 0.590" bolt face model including BAT, Kelbly, Pierce, Defiance, etc. Pierce even has a Titanium model.

I like the Surgeon for the size and weight but I don't mind carrying a heavier rifle. I've also used the Barnard, Stiller and Defiance plus several others. If you have an aversion to carrying weight then look at the Titanium actions, carbon fiber barrels and carbon fiber stocks.

I started building a version of the 7mm-300 Norma Mag. about 3 years ago. I have been using a lighter #5 Bartlein barrel for hunting and heavier #7 barrel for long range shooting with this cartridge. The shorter case and longer magazine lengths (DBM) allow for excellent seating of even the heaviest bullets.

Now I'm working with variations of the Infidel cartridges which are shortened versions of the .338 Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts