300 Magnums

cowboyarcher

Hey Guys,

Kicking around the idea of a 300 Magnum of some sort and was curious if there was a good comparison of the various caliber offers?

Other than that, any recommendations? I'm thinking 300 WM as a minimum, have no issues doing a wildcat, really don't like belted cases, and would be running 210 gr bullets at a minimum. Thoughts?

Thanks all and God bless you,

Adam

It's pretty tough to beat the .300 Winchester Magnum, as an all around choice. A good compromise of power and barrel life.

Of course you don't have to run the bigger .300's full tilt every day, and I have a sentimental attachment to the .300 H&H.

I've kind of been looking myself, and the .30/.375 Ruger keeps coming to mind.
Likely when rebarrel time gets here the .300 Winchester Magnum is what I'll choose.

My 300 RUM likes the 208 A-Max and the 230 HyBreds. My 300 Lapua likes 210 JLK's and 230 HyBreds. Both are good to go with 215m primers and Retumbo. Depending on the bullet 2950 to 3100 fps cuts a ragged hole with both guns. The 30's can get a bit $$ to shoot a lot. I also run a 243AI with 215 DTAC's that runs about 1/2 the cost and still is good to 1000+ in the wind. I hear good things about the 300 Norma, that it is a very efficient case design....Best of luck with your choice........gun).........:D

If you use correct prepping/sizing techniques, the 300WM will be one of the most accurate choices you have.
It is very easy to load for and gets very good velocity for it's size. It would be my first and last choice of all the 300 magnums.

Cheers.
gun)

Adam:

For beltless and serious long range I don't see how one can beat the 300 ultra mag and 230 Bergers. That combo almost matches the Edge with 300 Bergers in my mind.

You'd have to spend a lot of money to reach farther with a 30 caliber and then I'm not sure how you'd do it. And it's not a wildcat, another plus if you ever want to sell it.

Look very closely at the new .300 Norma mag. It was developed by an American ballistician and standardized by Norma. The ballistics are better than the .300 Win. mag by a fair amount. Plus it doesn't have the now useless belt of the .300 Win mag.

The .300 Norma mag matches the big .338 Lapua magnum in ballistics except for energy, naturally.

A .300 Norma magnum with 220 gr. hunting bullets will have amazing ballistics. I'll take it over the RUM and .300 Weatherby magnum any day because it just has a more efficient case design contributing to greater accuracy, similar to a benchrest case design .

..really don't like belted cases, and would be running 210 gr bullets at a minimum...
300 WSM - can hang with a 300 WSM
300 Norma
300/26 Nosler
300 RUM
30-338 Lapua
7.62 PRO

Of course there are many possibilities.

I have a 300 WM and a 300 RUM..............Love them both but I think I want a 300 Dakota. No belt, absurdly expensive brass.......when you can get it, but in my mind possibly the best of the three.

The 300/26 nosler should be very similar to the 300 Dakota I would think

I have a 300 WM and a 300 RUM..............Love them both but I think I want a 300 Dakota. No belt, absurdly expensive brass.......when you can get it, but in my mind possibly the best of the three.

The 300/26 nosler should be very similar to the 300 Dakota I would think
Yup, sorry I forgot the Dakota. Right there with the wildcat.

IMO forming 300/26 Nosler is easier and cheaper than getting Dakota as it can made from any RUM brass or 404 Jefferies basic.

If ease of finding cartridges on the shelf where ever you go hunting, or can find brass any where, then the 300 Win Mag is very hard to beat, it is no slouch in the power dept either. The 300 RUM is a power house and will drive 230 Bergers at 3000 fps with 24 and 26" barrels. That said, I switched from a 338 Lapua to a 300 Norma. At a minum its 25% cheaper to shoot than the 338 Lapua. I have never shot a more accurate rifle/cartridge. No fire forming, dies direct from Forster, and Redding, brass from Midway. I would put it at 5% less horse power than a 300 RUM, The 300 Norma is so accurate and hits a steel plate at 1000 yards with such ease and power, I won't be changing any time soon. Good luck with you build.

I have a PTG never used 300 Norma CIP spec reamer except the freebore is shortened to .180". I have a headspace gauge too. I've decided to build a Wildcat based on a RUM case and would sell this reamer and gauge.

I have a PTG never used 300 Norma CIP spec reamer except the freebore is shortened to .180". I have a headspace gauge too. I've decided to build a Wildcat based on a RUM case and would sell this reamer and gauge.

What would shortening the freebore accomplish?

Doing a little research, the 300 Norma looks like a 30-338 Lapua(ish), is that a correct interpretation? If so, could brass be made from the Lapua in a pinch?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.