300 Ackley??

ltrbuck

I've got a possibility at purchasing a 300 Ackley and am looking for some input or feedback on it being as I don't have any knowledge of it other than it's basically a 300 Weath with the shoulders pushed out to 40 deg.

I've got a possibility at purchasing a 300 Ackley and am looking for some input or feedback on it being as I don't have any knowledge of it other than it's basically a 300 Weath with the shoulders pushed out to 40 deg.

Sounds the same as a 30 Hart. Nice cartridge that is head spaced of the belt. After the RUM was introduced you dont see as many around these parts. The same performance or better can be obtained with a RUM, no fire form and shoulder head spaced (no belt)

PO Ackley built 3 different 300s so you need to find out which one it is.

They were # 300 #1 , 300 # 2 and a 300 #3 that was the longest (Largest case capacity)

If you can find his book he has all of them listed

I will go through mine (If I can find it)and see if I can help you decide which one it is.

It should be marked on the barrel but they are not allways marked properly By The gunsmith.

J E CUSTOM

Exactly correct, there at at least 4 versions of the 300 Ack that I know and all only marked on the barrels 300 Ack. They varied with 35 and 40 degree shoulders and variances in body dimensions.

All are very good.

Issue will be matching dies.

BH

I have a 300 ackley. Out of it's 30" barrel it will push the 210 VLDs to 3150+ and I'm yet to see any pressure signs. This is using RL25. It is a very accurate round, one of the top rounds for 1000yard BR.

I own a Remington #721 re-chambered to it. Great caliber however for me the recoil has become intolerable! Arthritis in my shoulders. Still sees some range time but only with the lead sled. With the right bullet it will kill everything in NA and most in Africa.

A bunch of H4831 and just about any 150 gr.+ bullets. Ackley's handbook recommends .300 Weatherby load data. My barrel seems to like the Lapua 155 gr. Scenar and Federal 215 Gold Medal primers.

I am new to the forum, as well as long reange shooting. I am working in Williamsport, Pa., near the Bodine's 1000 yard range, and have purchased the aforementioned 300 Ackley Improved in order to shoot there. My man also lost the dies. He did have 50 loaded rounds, as well as 50 preped cases. How does one obtain the needed dies? Can a gunsmith mike what I have, and machine 300 Weatherby dies in order to do the job?

Go back and find out which PA gunsmith did the chambering. Go to that smith and see which set of dies he recommends.

Possibly do a chamber cast with cerrosafe if nothing else to get dimensions and then contact the die mftrs to see IF their 300 AI dies specs match your chamber.

Neil Jones at neil jones custom products can take fired brass and make a set of dies.

BH

I am new to the forum, as well as long reange shooting. I am working in Williamsport, Pa., near the Bodine's 1000 yard range, and have purchased the aforementioned 300 Ackley Improved in order to shoot there. My man also lost the dies. He did have 50 loaded rounds, as well as 50 preped cases. How does one obtain the needed dies? Can a gunsmith mike what I have, and machine 300 Weatherby dies in order to do the job?

Call Ben Syring at Hornady. With 3 fired cases he should be able to make the proper dies for you, last I heard though there is a long lead time.

Contact Us - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

James

Thanks to those who replied. I took some brass to Bobby Hart at R. W. Hart Inc. in Nescopeck, Pa. today. He sized some brass in his 300 Hart dies, and told me if my rifle would chamber it, I could use those dies. Wonder of wonders, it chambered just fine. I am going to take the rifle to him tomorrow for closer examination. Since he told me he was a world record holder at 1000 yds with the 300 Hart, I suppose he must know what he is talking about. I do know they are very nice people, and bent over backward to help

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.