30 Nosler, 215 Berger. Reamer?

The .200 - .225 freebore has nothing to do with how much H1000 to fit in the case.
It's all about getting the bearing surface above the donut area. Alex touched on this couple days ago.
If you're not necking down or neck up the brass, where's the donut coming from? I've never had a problem with donuts in my brass. I'm just curious what would cause it in a 30 Nosler or any round for that matter.

I'm going to tell you .200 absolutely is going to allow you to more easily hit the 3100 node compared to the saami specs. I've got experience with both. I have never had a problem with donuts in non wildcat cartridges.
It makes sense that it will because you're able to seat the bullet further out and allow more room for powder. I understand that point now, and that's originally why I asked for the reason of the long freebore. I also have never had issues with donuts, and if I did I would just turn the necks and cut into the shoulder just a little.

If I were to run Berger bullets, I don't think I'd want a freebore as long as 0.200"-0.220". Now if I were planning to run the Nosler 210 ABLR, or the Hornady 212 ELDX, or 225ELDM, I'd want a longer freebore.

My reamer is made by JGS is set for a Berger 210 VLDH with the bearing surface just above the neck/shoulder junction. It should also work great for the Berger 215 as well, since it actually has less bearing surface.

Attachments

• 30 NOS RC.pdf
    300 KB · Views: 266
If you're not necking down or neck up the brass, where's the donut coming from? I've never had a problem with donuts in my brass. I'm just curious what would cause it in a 30 Nosler or any round for that matter.
What happens when you shoot brass? It flows forward, this is why you have to trim length on brass. I choose to set my reamers up so I dont have to worry about it in non- wildcat or wildcat cartridges.

What happens when you shoot brass? It flows forward, this is why you have to trim length on brass. I choose to set my reamers up so I dont have to worry about it in non- wildcat or wildcat cartridges.
Yeah trimming brass is normal. Having donuts is not something I've ever had issues with on standard cases. On wildcats where you neck up and down I can see it being an issue. But even then if you neck turn and just cut into the shoulder you pretty much eliminate the whole donut issue. I'm just not a fan of having excessive freebore unless it really is necessary. I like having a lot of bullet in the neck so when I have to chase the lands. To each their own I guess.

Some people dont wanna turn necks. Trimming brass length isnt " normal" it depends on the cartridge. AI's basically it's a one in done after you fireform.
.200-.225 is not excessive in just about every 30 cal out there for a 215.
Theres guys smarter than me doing the exact same thing, as Alex touched on couple days ago dont worry about chasing the lands there will be plenty of bullet in the neck the barrel will be wore out before there isnt.

Who do you recommend?
I have searched several topics on the chat pages all to add confusion. concerning the 30 Nosler on free bore I have read .141 and .160, .181, .2, .25 for the 215 Berger. My question does this make the barrel only specific to this one bullet? The other confusion is leade angle of 1.5 for the 30 nosler, but 3 for the 26 nosler to lessen the throat erosion. Why not 3 for all the nosler rounds? One stated as I understood that after so many shots they all get back to 1.5 and then you are chasing the lands? I want to have a ream done for a 30 nosler but I want to be able to utilise the barrel for different bullet weights. I read where gunwerks loads the 215 to 3.555 oal? I assume to fit a common magazine. I have been told to speak to Hawkins on the mbe3 for longer length? My old brain is in overload with all the different opinions and options. And last night I came across thread where the 215 is not working as well on game opening up on contact? confused, I am admitting that I'm an amateur concerning the maths on configuration of measurement of what depth of an overall freebore for the 30 nosler. if none of what I stated makes sense then as I first stated I'm confused. Im waiting on an action so I can have the barrel mated to it. Im looking into the prefit actions so a barrel can be changed out readily if what I end up with doesn't work out? I do Enjoy all your threads and topics.

If you get a prefit then in all likelihood it will be with a saami reamer, you wanna run 210-220 then go .200 on your own reamer it will put the boataill bear surface a little lower on the neck shoulder junction of the brass on the 215 and up.
Theres alot more to think about than leade angle starting out dont over think this.

If you are using a 700 or clone you won't have to worry about mag box length with any 30 nosler reamer, its the 30-28 when you need to got to a longer mag box with the heavies

I set my freebore to just under 0.170" for a Berger 210 VLDH.

The Berger 215 has an even short bearing surface, and will have less bullet in the neck at the lands.

JGS did my reamer to my specs.

Correct but to get the bearing surface- boatail junction at the neck - shoulder junction on the 215 and not hit the lands first your gonna have to be in the .215 freebore area

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.