30 Nosler, 215 Berger. Reamer?

SAAMI spec reamer will work well with the 215 Hybrids. If you want it to be perfect, then you'd want around 0.150-0.160 freebore to put the boattail/bearing surface junction right at the neck/shoulder junction. SAAMI freebore is 0.110

I'd call jgs or manufacturer of choice and ask them. They have all of that filed away and will save you time. Your smith can use a throat reamer to match whatever you want without waiting on a custom reamer

If you want the 215 at the neck shoulder junction .200 if you want it above .225.
If your ordering a reamer you might as well get it set up with what you want.
Curious how you came up with the 0.200 Freebore. According to my calculations, the 30 Nosler has a 0.310 Long neck and the 215 Berger has 0.463 of bearing surface. That would mean to put the bearing surface at the base of the neck wouldn't you need 0.153 of freebore? Obviously a little more freebore won't hurt so you can seat off the lands and still not be below the neck shoulder junction, but 0.050 more seems like a lot of extra to me. Thanks

You can't calculate necessary freebore that easily. The lead angle actually lets the bullet come even farther out of the case. With very rudimentary measuring the SAAMI freebore chambers allow the 215 berger boattail junction to set at the nsj. In my experience some barrels will not get to 3100 with H1000 in a SAAMI chamber. With .200 freebore they will. I do love the 215 Berger but if you want to shoot a Hornady bullet you will need more than SAAMI freebore and even .200 may not be ideal.

You can't calculate necessary freebore that easily. The lead angle actually lets the bullet come even farther out of the case. With very rudimentary measuring the SAAMI freebore chambers allow the 215 berger boattail junction to set at the nsj. In my experience some barrels will not get to 3100 with H1000 in a SAAMI chamber. With .200 freebore they will. I do love the 215 Berger but if you want to shoot a Hornady bullet you will need more than SAAMI freebore and even .200 may not be ideal.
I understand the lead angle let's the bullet sit out about 0.015-0.020 more. I just wasn't sure why such a long freebore was chosen. I see now that it allows the bullet to be seated even further out than needed to fit more H1000 to hit a node.

Curious how you came up with the 0.200 Freebore. According to my calculations, the 30 Nosler has a 0.310 Long neck and the 215 Berger has 0.463 of bearing surface. That would mean to put the bearing surface at the base of the neck wouldn't you need 0.153 of freebore? Obviously a little more freebore won't hurt so you can seat off the lands and still not be below the neck shoulder junction, but 0.050 more seems like a lot of extra to me. Thanks
I've sent a couple dummy rounds to JGS, one with the Berger 210 and 215

I understand the lead angle let's the bullet sit out about 0.015-0.020 more. I just wasn't sure why such a long freebore was chosen. I see now that it allows the bullet to be seated even further out than needed to fit more H1000 to hit a node.
The .200 - .225 freebore has nothing to do with how much H1000 to fit in the case.
It's all about getting the bearing surface above the donut area. Alex touched on this couple days ago.

So I've ordered a reamer from PTG with .220 freebore. Is there anything else specific to cut the chamber for the 215?
Theres varing opinions on leade angle and throat dia so whoever is smithing your gun that's who I would refer too.
Theres a couple other reamer manufacturers I would have picked but that's your choice.
I think your freebore choice is good.

Theres varing opinions on leade angle and throat dia so whoever is smithing your gun that's who I would refer too.
Theres a couple other reamer manufacturers I would have picked but that's your choice.
I think your freebore choice is good.
Who do you recommend?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.