30 Nosler, 215 Berger. Reamer?

Mine is setup for the Berger 210 VLDH as I mentioned in my post.

In my opinion, 0.225" is a LOT of freebore. If you use a long bullet such as the Nosler 210 ABLR or the Hornady 212 ELDX, then it's not so much.

Actual freebore on my print is right at 0.165" or so where the bore is at 0.308".

if you look, JGS puts there freebore numbers at the 0.295" bore mark. Would need to back that up some for a 0.308" bore diameter to get the freebore at that diameter.
I did notice that, it is why I asked which bullet. At .295 I was thinking it was for a .230 or .245. There was another post that had fb at .170 if I remember correctly. The .210 or even the new .205 would be something I would consider. Now I'm reading up on the 30-28. Like if Im not confused already. Thanks everyone, this site doesn't kick the uninformed like other sites.

Hmm, I may not entirely understand. I am reading your freebore at .1706 which would be the difference between box "U" & "V" on the print. Please correct me if I am not reading this correctly as that is what I was told by JGS.

Liddy
You are indeed reading the print correctly. However, take note of what diameter this freebore is at. It's at 0.295" diameter on the bore. Your bore is a 0.308", not 0.295", so that has to be taken into account on the actual "real" freebore.

For the purposes of discussion, I just simply tell people my freebore is 0.170".... too hard to explain otherwise.

My reamer is spec'd such that the base of the bearing surface/boat tail junction is just at the shoulder/neck junction for a Berger 210 VLDH.

Not more powder than the 300 RUM.

30-28 Nosler is just a couple or three more grains than a straight 30 Nosler. Maybe four.

I went straight 30 Nosler because my build is a Remington XP-100. My ejection port would need modified if I went any longer on the case length.

As it is, mine shoots really really well. This is three shots at 100 meters. H1000 @ 79.0gr.

Bottom gun is the 30 Nosler. (Top is a 7mm RSAUM)
Now those are very unique. What barrel length on these? One hole,wow. I'm impressed

While I'm not smart on all the numbers and stuff I want to say my smith was able to chamber my 30-28 by simply running the 30 Nosler reamer a little deeper. Basically to the depth of the 28 case but in the .308 barrel.

It's been a few years and I'm not a machinist or a smith so I don't speak the lingo like many other.

I feel the extra capacity helps get that 215 into that 3100fps node with a little less pressure.

If you compare the 30-28 against the 300 prc in case capacity and performance they are so close. 30-28 could be a small margin more but could differ more from a fast or slow barrel on one or the other. I'm thinking the 30-28 has a slight bit more case capacity.

Kris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.