30 MOA Base Question

BHaner

I need someone who knows more about this stuff than I do to check my "plan".

I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical ACC-SD in .308.

On that rifle I have a 0 MOA base with a Viper 6-24x50 HSLR.

With my zero at 100 yards the scope sits at 42 MOA of 65 MOA available.

When I go to shoot long range I only have about 23 MOA to play with before the scope tops out.

If I was to install a 30 MOA base and the correct rings to give space between the shade and barrel... Zero at 100 again... Would I have 53 MOA available "Up" and 12 MOA available "Down" adjustment?

Does that sound right?

Thanks for the help!

I need someone who knows more about this stuff than I do to check my "plan".

I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical ACC-SD in .308.

On that rifle I have a 0 MOA base with a Viper 6-24x50 HSLR.

With my zero at 100 yards the scope sits at 42 MOA of 65 MOA available.

When I go to shoot long range I only have about 23 MOA to play with before the scope tops out.

If I was to install a 30 MOA base and the correct rings to give space between the shade and barrel... Zero at 100 again... Would I have 53 MOA available "Up" and 12 MOA available "Down" adjustment?

Does that sound right?

Thanks for the help!

Yes you would, but you probably would not be able to get back on at 100 yards. you never want to bottom out a scope, so you try to get a moa base that will keep you in the usable range you intend to shoot. (The further you get from the center of the range of the scope the more error you apply to your actual MOA adjustments)

Ideally, you want a base that keeps you in the 1/4 to 3/4 range of the scope.

J E CUSTOM

Would you consider a 200 yard zero? What is your max range you intend to shoot with your gun? That being said, you might be able to get away with a 20 moa base.

Would you consider a 200 yard zero? What is your max range you intend to shoot with your gun? That being said, you might be able to get away with a 20 moa base.

At this point who knows.

Two weeks ago I had never shot anything over 300.

Last week (Thunder Ranch mid-range rifle class) I was hitting targets at 700 with no problems.

My issue came when I tried to hit something at 900 and ran out of adjustment in the scope. I had to hold over as well.

Doing the math on the 30 MOA base lead me to believe that it would work. Giving 12 MOA under zero, and 53 MOA over.

20 MOA should give me 22 under zero and 43 over. If I was to ever shoot 1000 that may not be enough.

I would like to make this change once and maximize the ability of the optic and gun.

Yes you would, but you probably would not be able to get back on at 100 yards. you never want to bottom out a scope, so you try to get a moa base that will keep you in the usable range you intend to shoot. (The further you get from the center of the range of the scope the more error you apply to your actual MOA adjustments)

Ideally, you want a base that keeps you in the 1/4 to 3/4 range of the scope.

J E CUSTOM

So with a 30 MOA base I should still have 12 MOA to go at 100 yard zero before it bottoms out.

Is that enough?

I was unaware of error introduced at the bottom/top of the adjustment.

Good to know. How much error are we talking about?

So I should keep at least 16.5 MOA at the top and bottom of the range unused on a scope that has 65 available?

Do you have a ballistic app? Through Ballistic AE using HSM 168 Berger Hunting VLD (2740 fps), 1000 yards = just about 35 MOA. 200 yard zero.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 107
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.