30 MOA Base

mrussell

I have a couple of problems with my Rem 700 VLS in 6 mm. I put a Burris 8-32 X 50 mm scope on it. I was at the range the other day and I got it sited in at 100 yards, but after i checked my Adjustment and i only had 20 MOA. for the load i am shooting i need to get between 50 and 55 MOA! So, after I searched the internet I come to see the that they are not cheap! I pulled out the computer and the calculator and punched the numbers. It looks like i need .024 to .030 to get my 30 MOA. I have two bases from Leupold and the twist in rings. If I shim the back base would it put to much stress on the scope tube? could it hurt the quality of the scope? would it void any warranty? Or is there anyother way for me to get this with out spending lots of money?
Thanks for the info!

Mike

Last edited:
I have a couple of problems with my Rem 700 VLS in 6 mm. I put a Burris 8-32 X 50 mm scope on it. I was at the range the other day and I got it sited in at 100 yards, but after i checked my Adjustment and i only had 20 MOA. for the load i am shooting i need to get between 50 and 55 MOA! So, after I searched the internet I come to see the that they are not cheap! I pulled out the computer and the calculator and punched the numbers. It looks like i need .024 to .030 to get my 30 MOA. I have two bases from Leupold and the twist in rings. If I shim the back base would it put to much stress on the scope tube? could it hurt the quality of the scope? would it void any warranty? Or is there any other way for me to get this with out spending lots of money?
Thanks for the info!

Mike

I'm curious to what load and what distance you are shooting, that you need 55 moa of elevation for. Looks like around 1400 yds, and that's a stretch for that rig.

There is an easy (and cheap) way to get what you need.

Use Burris Signature "ZEE" rings, in Weaver style bases.

The rings have floating collars that automatically align the scope, so no torque on the tube... plus you can put as many shims under the rear base as you want... make them out of brass shim stock.

Set the scope up so the 100 yd zero is at the bottom of the elevation range, and you have all "UP" from there.

Cost you about $40 for the rings, and $20 for the bases!

I am shooting Berger 95 gr VLD with IMR 4064 and Ramshot Hunter! Also, I am trying the 100 gr to see what the gun likes the best! I am getting interested in the long range shooting, so I am using this gun to shoot and learn the trick and trade. Yes, the 50 MOA will put me on at 1400 yards. I am wanting that for the what if! It never hurts to have more then you will use. Many people go and shoot mule deer with more gun then they really need, but no one give them crap!
I know about the burris zee rings, but I sunk almost $100 in them. I am still looking and searching the internet and local gun shops to get more info and mybe some help with some custom ideas i have in my head and on the computer...

this guy sells moa bases on e-bay check out his list for your rifle

EGW Savage Sh Action RB Picatinny 25 moa mount Tactical
For the new round back receiver Savage Rifles
Item number: 180160774036
Use his item # to find his list of items for sale

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.