20, 30, or 40 MOA Scope Base Needed?

lv2hunt

Hello,

I recently purchased a new Savage 112 chambered in 338 Lapua Magnum, and a Nightforce 4-14x56 MOA 1000 scope. I plan on using a Farrell scope base and scope rings for mounting the scope, I was able to purchase a new "high" set of Farrell rings off of Ebay. I would like to know if the 20, 30, or 40 moa scope base would be better option for my needs? I am currently comfortable up to 1,000 yards but would like to get to 1,760 yards (personal goal) with this new rifle and still keep a respectable zero of around 200-250 yards or less. I currently shoot 300 grain Berger OTM's and H-1000. I am inclined to go with the 30 MOA rail but was hoping someone else could weigh in on this with numbers. Please advise.

Thanks,
Brandon W.
aka, lv2hunt

You should run some numbers through a ballistic calculator and see how much you would need to come up. If you don't have a calculator on your phone, try the free one on JBM Ballistics website.

You should run some numbers through a ballistic calculator and see how much you would need to come up. If you don't have a calculator on your phone, try the free one on JBM Ballistics website.

+1, also if the place you shoot is close enough by, I'd try that scope out and see if it will satisfy you at 1 mile, before committing to a base.

The scope has 100 moa range of adjustment; 50 up/50 down. A 30 moa rail will require that you work pretty close to the edges of adjustments at shorter ranges but without it, even though we don't have your MV to calculate the long range arc, I don't see how you could manage 1,760 yards with anything less than the 30 moa base. Once you've got the numbers for the bullet drop you may even find that the 40 moa rail, even though it'll be iffy at short range, is your best bet.

Thanks for the replies, thought I would share a personal message concerning this matter received by a great member here as well:

It looks to me like 65 MOA will get you there from a 100 yard zero at around 800 ft of elevation. Your scope with 100 MOA of total elevation will have around 50 MOA usable. Therefore, you need 15 MOA extra. You could get there with a 20 MOA base, but a 30 will give you even more growing room. You could run 100 yard zero with both. This is all dependent upon your scope actually having advertised elevation, which they usually do, and your base actually providing advertised elevation when mounted to your rifle. I'd probably go 30 for a mile if I were you. Then you'd have enough room to push close to 2000. Any further than that you'll need a 40 MOA with probably a 200-300 yard zero.

I have decided to go with a 30 MOA scope base for my needs, thanks!
lv2hunt

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.