Need a 40 moa base

I currently have a set of the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings, medium height. I had them mounted on a Burris Xtreme two piece base. Here is my question, instead of buying a new base, 20 or 25 MOA, could I buy some of the Burris shims?

http://www.swfa.com/c-1146-burris-shims.aspx

I could them place them under the from mount or the rear mount, whichever is needed to allow for more adjustment. If this is way off then please tell me. I was just thinking that another $10 would be easier than $80 for a new base.

If I used some locktite and really got the base with the shims on real good would this be alright?

Thanks for the help, Wyatt

I currently have a set of the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings, medium height. I had them mounted on a Burris Xtreme two piece base. Here is my question, instead of buying a new base, 20 or 25 MOA, could I buy some of the Burris shims?

http://www.swfa.com/c-1146-burris-shims.aspx

I could them place them under the from mount or the rear mount, whichever is needed to allow for more adjustment. If this is way off then please tell me. I was just thinking that another $10 would be easier than $80 for a new base.

If I used some locktite and really got the base with the shims on real good would this be alright?

It's possible BUT you could torque the scope tube and damage the scope.

$10 or $80 or $500, your call.

Thanks, and a good point that I had not considered.

What about this mount:

Savage Picatinny Rail Mount - $39.99 : EGW, Inc., World Class Precision Parts

I have read where people recommend EGW bases, but for only $40 I can't help but wonder if it a good one. Also, if you had to guess, with a scope that has 44 MOA of adjustment, would you pick the 20 or 25 MOA model.

I do have another kind of embarrising question, is my Savage 12fv .308 with Accu-trigger a Long or Short action?

Thanks for the help and putting up with the rookie questions, but I'm learning.

Wyatt

Thanks, and a good point that I had not considered.

What about this mount:

Savage Picatinny Rail Mount - $39.99 : EGW, Inc., World Class Precision Parts

I have read where people recommend EGW bases, but for only $40 I can't help but wonder if it a good one. Also, if you had to guess, with a scope that has 44 MOA of adjustment, would you pick the 20 or 25 MOA model.

I do have another kind of embarrising question, is my Savage 12fv .308 with Accu-trigger a Long or Short action?

Thanks for the help and putting up with the rookie questions, but I'm learning.

Wyatt

I have no experience with EGW bases but if they are like their other products, you're good to go.

Short action.

A bad rookie question is the one NOT asked.

Any suggestions on which one, 20 or 25 MOA?

Wyatt

Ask yourself what the furthest distance you will shoot.

If 800yds, it's either or, but the more MOA you have the further out your zero will be.

Example.

On my PGWDTI Timberwolf in .338LM, the base is 40 MOA, and my closest zero is 400yds.

Ok here's where I'm at. I took my rifle out yesterday with the Bushnell Elite mounted on a two piece Burris Xtreme mount (zero MOA built in). I sighted it in at 100 yards to see what I would have left over.

With a 100 yard zero, this is what I had left over in adjustments:

Elevation:

21 MOA up
23 MOA down
44 MOA total

Windage:

26 MOA right
18 MOA left
44 MOA total

So it was 44 MOA of total adjustment.

I have called every, which is few and far between, gun shop and range in the area and none of them have a chronograph or access to one. When I run my info thru the ballistics calculator I just put 2600 FPS because that is what is stated on the box of ammo. Black Hills Match, BTHP, FPS: 2600, 175 grain .308, BC: .505.

So I ran this thru the ballistics calculator with a 200 yard zero. It returned saying I would need 35 MOA of adjustment to reach 1,000 yards with a 200 yard zero. I really like the scope and am willing to hold under for targets under 200 yards.

Is there anyway to have a 200 yard zero with my results from above and have 35-40 MOA of up adjustment left over? What MOA base would this require, if it's possible?

So is there any interest in a 40 MOA rail for the savages.. I can get some built but woiuld like to know if I get 20 made up I would have sales for them...

Blygy

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.