Need a 40 moa base

wyatt earp

I just purchased a Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200. I need a base to put it on. I read somewhere that to get this scope to 1,000 yards you have to use a 40 MOA one piece base. I have a Savage 12FV .308.

I just bought the gun at Christmas and was wondering where I get a 40 MOA base to fit my Savage. Also, I have a pair of the Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings, medium height, will they allow the scope to clear the barrel after I get the base? I assume they will since I saw a Falcon 56mm clearing a barrel with medium rings.

This may be a stupid question. I have never used a variable power scope with target turrents. Say I'm supposed to adjust 15 MOA at 600 yards. Will I adjust 15 MOA with the scope on 6x and adjust it 15 MOA with the scope on 24x, same on any magnification?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I am new to this long range shooting.

Thanks for the help, Wyatt

I can't imagine you needing a 40MOA base to get to 1000 with that gun and scope. 20 or 25 should be plenty, one or two piece is personal preference. Magnification doesn't effect turret adjustment but it does effect the use of the MilDots.

looking at a ballistics calculator with a 175 gr. smk at 2600 fps, there is a drop of 39.8 moa, and i believe the bushnell has 50 moa of adjustment so about 25 up and 25 down, so a 20 moa base should be planty, 25 just to be safe.

TURRETS:
The scope has robust turrets with 12moa per revolution, 44moa of total travel, and the clicks were a little mushy but still positive and audible clicks. The 44moa can be a drawback if you would like to shoot past 800yds with 308win. I tested the Bushnell with an Acculock 20moa base. The scope had 16moa to the bottom, 28moa to the top, with a 100yd zero. If someone would like to get to 1k with the 6-24x Bushnell I would recommend getting a 40moa base, this way you will get the full range of the scope.
I got this quote off of a review about this scope here: AR15.COM :: Forums :: Topic :: Bushnell 6-24x50 Tactical Scope Review:

Could that be right? What do you guys think?

Thanks, Wyatt

An EGW 25MOA rail will work very well with your XTR rings. That's the setup I'm using on my Savage.

But, be warned. You probably won't be able to zero at 100 yards. I have a Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 Tactical scope with 50MOA of adjustment. To shoot at 100 yds I have to hold 2 mil dots low or roughly 7MOA.

But, be warned. You probably won't be able to zero at 100 yards.
What do I need to do to be able to zero my rifle at 100 yards?

Do I need higher rings to accomplish this?

Thanks, Wyatt

Last edited:
I've got 25MOA bases on 3 Savages and one wouldn't zero at 100 yards. For some reason that one would only come down to shoot 19MOA high at 100. That's with my Nikons that have limited internal adjustment. I fixed it with some inserts in the Signature rings but am going to replace the base with a 0MOA one. If you are worried about it then mount the scope and zero it at 100 to see how much elevation adjustment you have left. You can then decide how steep of a base you need to get you to 1000.

An EGW 25MOA rail will work very well with your XTR rings. That's the setup I'm using on my Savage.

But, be warned. You probably won't be able to zero at 100 yards. I have a Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 Tactical scope with 50MOA of adjustment. To shoot at 100 yds I have to hold 2 mil dots low or roughly 7MOA.
\

Correct!

I have a 40 MOA on my PGWDTI Timberwolf in .338LM and my zero is 400yds.

If I want to shoot closer then I use the hash marks.

EGW base

I have a tactical Savage model 10 witha EGW 25 moa base on it. It has me zero at 100 about 16MOA off the bottom.

I'm shooting a VXIII with 90MOA adjustment though.

If you have only 50MOA of adjustment you better cross your fingers that your within 10MOA of the bottom to get where you want it.

I have enough clicks on my 308 with 178 grain amax to get me to 1200 yds

Another option if the tube is a 1" is go with Burris optiloc rings. You can interchange the +/- inserts to get where you nedd the scope to be. Most scopes I've seen with this setup have been able to be set within just a couple MOA off the bottom

I found out that the Bushnell has 44 MOA of total adjustment. Hang with me, I'm new at this and I'm probably going to mess this up.

Okay, so 44 total translates to 22 up and 22 down. So with 20 MOA base that would put me 2 MOA from the bottom (22-20 = 2). This would leave me with 42 MOA of upward adjustment (44 total - 2 = 42 upward adjustment).

Also, if I did the calculations right then my 2600 fps, .505 BC, 175 gr. bullet will drop roughly 154" at 1,000 yards. The scope has 12 MOA per revolution. This translates to me needing to adjust about 3.2 revolutions around.

So 3.2 revolutions would equal 38.5 MOA. So if this is correct then 42 MOA of upward adjustment would work.

I am not a betting man but if I was I would say some if not all of that is probably wrong. That being said, I need your help. Is there a way to tell without mounting the scope or do I just need to mount the scope and zero it at 100 yards and then see how much adjustment I need to get to 1,000 yards?

Thanks for the help so far, and I hope this is not all incorrect.

Wyatt

I'm kind of surprised at that review... CSgunworks normally is right on the money, but on that one, he's off in the tulies. 44 moa elev, + 40 moa base, would put you unable to get a 100yd zero, by about 3-1/2 *feet*.

I don't know where you got '154 inches', but that number is way off. Try more like 'over 400 inches'... which is why you need to forget 'inches' and start thinking in MOA - or mils - to simplify the math. A 175gr SMK @ that speed is more like a flying bumble bee... something like 38-39 moa of up, and just barely supersonic when it gets there. There are better choices out there unless you are seriously married to that particular bullet/speed combination. Even just punting it out the gate a little harder (2650-2700fps is common) would leave you a little more breathing room as far as making it to the target supersonic.

44 moa of elevation, which *should* give you 22 moa of 'up'... except for it'd be a rare gun/scope combination in my experience that actually zeroed right at its mechanical zero (center) @ 100yds. Most likely you'll have to come up/down, right or left to get it zeroed. Using a 20 moa base should theoretically leave you w/ 2 moa off the bottom @ 100yds - which ain't much wiggle room, but it should work. From there, I'd suggest using some Burris Signature Zee rings w/ the inserts to 'tweak' your elevation requirements as needed. I'm not a huge fan of the ring design overall, but they do work nicely for things like this.

Monte

MOA

You need to mount the scope to see where your at. I'm not quite sure what your talking about with the 22moa up and 22 moa down. If the scope has 44 moa of travel this is what you have to work with. Now lets say you mount it and lucky enough with whatever combo you choose it puts you 4 moa off the bottom then you now have 40 moa of elevation to work with. Put your info into a ballistic program with your chrono speed and you will see how far you can click to. I do agree with the above get used to MOA and drop the inches thoughts. You start thinking inches when you shooting long distance your gonna get confused real quick.

Like I said before if your scope only has 44moa I recomend the burris rings if it is a 1" tube. They will get you real close.

Based on your bullet weight, speed and BC. You'll need about 38 MOA to get to 1000yds. Your bullet will have 430 inches of total drop.

I wouldn't count on your scope giving you all 44 MOA of adjustment. I also wouldn't count on the base being exactly what it is supposed to be either.

My scope is supposed to be 50MOA and the base is supposed to be 25MOA. But when all said and done I'm missing 100 yard zero by 7MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.