30 mag

Advantages

-no belt means you head space off shoulder rather then belt
-adopted SAAMI length means better factory ammunition with bullets seated further from factory (factory ammo advantage only)
-slightly more powder charge for larger Bullets

That's the main advantages

You know the 300 rum has it beat in 2 of those categories (3 out of 3 if you add a wyatt's). And I don't consider factory ammo for long distance shooting. Don't know any serious long distance shooter that does.

Choose whatever floats your boat.
The 300 prc solved a problem that didn't exist.

Advantages

-adopted SAAMI length means better factory ammunition with bullets seated further from factory (factory ammo advantage only)

also SAAMI twist of 1-9 vs 300 win 1-10. Yes you can custom build a faster twist 300 win and cut a longer throat, but 300PRC will be factory rifle ready for the longer bullets seated out.

You know the 300 rum has it beat in 2 of those categories (3 out of 3 if you add a wyatt's). And I don't consider factory ammo for long distance shooting. Don't know any serious long distance shooter that does.

Choose whatever floats your boat.
The 300 prc solved a problem that didn't exist.

I don't shoot factory ammo but there are plenty that do... Hornady states it's predominantly a cartridge aimed at dudes that don't reload and just want to shoot, I'm predicting they have discovered a large market that exists in this sector and have catered for it. The RUM can't have Bullets seated longer then SAMMI spec, this is the only advantage the PRC has over it but for the audience they are targeting, this is a signifact advantage. Especially with the new 230-250 A-Tips they are releasing with boxed ammo surely to follow.

In fact they actually stated, much like the 6.5 PRC, there isn't a huge performance advantage to be gained by reloading for the 300 PRC vs boxed match ammunition.

How is the 300 PRC a better design, and what are you comparing it to ?

Sorry to derail.
Did I miss something?T is easy, Everything I mentioned belt or no belt I don't care. I headspace everything off the shoulder belt or not.
Animals and paper don't know the difference between 100 and 300 ft per second. Hornady actually did a good job with designing a case to fit a bullet instead of a bullet to fit a case unlike the crappy noslers look how much money people and how much time people are spending with designing free boar into a 28 and 30 nosler and hoping they did it right isn't that what we should be paying for them to do? I mean do it correctly. I mean let's face the facts we're on a long range hunting forum 200 grain bullets out of a 30 cal and bigger 300 PRC is designed around a 225 grain bullet and I don't know where you guys are coming up with Hornady brass is junk maybe compared to ADG, Lapua and Peterson. It's better than nosler, I have thrown away well over $600 worth of nosler brass cuz it's garbage two soft.
300 Norma isn't getting that I got three buddies with three different guns.
Any 30 cal Magnum is probably a good choice
Sorry
I don't want to take away from the OP'sthread I'm sorry we should start this somewhere else.

Advantages

300 Blaser has a longer neck, and comes in Norma Brass. It is quite a bit better than junk Hornady brass.

300 Blaser has a longer neck, and comes in Norma Brass. It is quite a bit better than junk Hornady brass.
Norma is consistent brass but junk in terms of longevity..
I've been very disappointed with it failing in 5-7 firings (7 SAUM).
Hornady will last that long, and I can guarantee you that ADG and probably Lapua are going to pick up the 300 PRC in the next few years.
I'll eat my words if they don't

Norma is consistent brass but junk in terms of longevity..
I've been very disappointed with it failing in 5-7 firings (7 SAUM).
Hornady will last that long, and I can guarantee you that ADG and probably Lapua are going to pick up the 300 PRC in the next few years.
I'll eat my words if they don't
Actually Norma isn't bad brass, If you want the primer pockets to stay tight; then it should not be hot-loaded.

Where does it say a problem has to exist for new cartridge to exist?

It isn't written anywhere. Just more of a common sense thing. People have been wildcatting(sp) since rifles were built. Hell, I have a 338 edge
Performance wise, the 300 prc does nothing that isn't already being done. Hornady is just putting their spin on it.
If someone wants to buy it, so be it.

It isn't written anywhere. Just more of a common sense thing. People have been wildcatting(sp) since rifles were built. Hell, I have a 338 edge
Performance wise, the 300 prc does nothing that isn't already being done. Hornady is just putting their spin on it.
If someone wants to buy it, so be it.

Having a common sense is not the same as your previous statement of solving a problem that does not exist. Not really sure why you are comparing the performance between the .338 EDGE and .300 PRC. My response was not chambering specific.

As it should be. We should be thankful we have another choice to choose from. What one does with the choice is entirely up to the end-user as they have the ultimate decision.

I think it was already said on here by .30 cal. It hits a niche where you don't have to reload, You have more time to shoot,some people need to shoot more than they need to reload.
I mean if we look at this here and I personally would never shoot hornady match or precision Hunter ammo passed probably 500 yd. thats just me, I roll my own. you go buy a Christensen long range Mesa in a 300prc with the correct twist rate in that new sexy burnt bronze then go throw on nightforce nxs maybe you don't have that much money the new Gen 2 vortex PST or You just had a vortex PST gen 1 laying around decent set of ring's,Talley's a anti-can't level snatch the bipod of the other gun, break it in get a little bit of load data **** you're dinging targets at a 1k with somewhat MOA accuracy.
I don't know that doesn't seem like a problem that needs to be fixed. This sounds perfect for a buddy of mine who will not commit to reloading and want to go play

I will say with the advent of berger making ammo, HSM thropy gold which is not cheap, Hornady precision Hunter and the match ammo there are some pretty good choices for those who don't roll their own and you could do that with a lot of different rifles. These are good times men, Good rifles,good ammo,good bullet selection, these are good times.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.