30 caliber mag build (leaning 30 Nosler) and questions

Hey guys, first post here.

I recently ordered and Remington LA Mag action (#27557) with the intentions of having my smith build a 30 caliber magnum over the next 6 months to a year. It is the standard magnum action not the ultra mag action.

I've been going through trying to weigh the pros and cons of the various 30 caliber magnums.

I think at this point im down to the 30 Nosler, 300 win mag, and 308 norma mag. I like the 300 Norma mag but I don't want to have the bolt face opened so it is off the table.

I believe the 30 Nosler will fit the standard magnum boltface, and feed in the standard magnum action. I don't necessarily need an ultra mag action, correct?

I will likely be going with a magpul 700 hunter stock. Will the 30 nosler fit AICS 300 win mag mags?

Barrel will be 23.5 inches + muzzle break. Probably going Kreiger fluted with contour similar to Accumark (3 I think).

I will be handloading. Would like to be able to shoot 168 grain bullets for antelope, and mule deer and have the option to go to 190 accubond LR for elk. Possibly being able to go to 220 if I go to Africa or Alaska with it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know a whole lot about the 30 Nosler. But, I went through something similar last year when wanting to build a 30 cal rifle. I ended up going with a 300 win mag. The main reasons I decided on this was that this caliber is so common. The ease of finding factory ammo if needed. Also the ease of finding brass. If you went this route you can still easily run heavy bullets. I currently run 215 grain burgers at 2850 out of a 26 inch barrel, which is enough for anything in North America and most of Africa. In my opinion, all of the 30 cal magnums really benefit from a longer barrel due to their larger case capacity. Just some things to think about. Good luck with your build!

Hey guys, first post here.

I recently ordered and Remington LA Mag action (#27557) with the intentions of having my smith build a 30 caliber magnum over the next 6 months to a year. It is the standard magnum action not the ultra mag action.

I've been going through trying to weigh the pros and cons of the various 30 caliber magnums.

I think at this point im down to the 30 Nosler, 300 win mag, and 308 norma mag. I like the 300 Norma mag but I don't want to have the bolt face opened so it is off the table.

I believe the 30 Nosler will fit the standard magnum boltface, and feed in the standard magnum action. I don't necessarily need an ultra mag action, correct?

I will likely be going with a magpul 700 hunter stock. Will the 30 nosler fit AICS 300 win mag mags?

Barrel will be 23.5 inches + muzzle break. Probably going Kreiger fluted with contour similar to Accumark (3 I think).

I will be handloading. Would like to be able to shoot 168 grain bullets for antelope, and mule deer and have the option to go to 190 accubond LR for elk. Possibly being able to go to 220 if I go to Africa or Alaska with it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Check out >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/how-does-300-win-30-nos-compare-179558/

IIWY, whichever chambering you decide on, I'd have a 1:9" twist or faster for those heavy/long bullets high BC offerings.

The .300 WM is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1k. +1 on what pburton's response; ABM now offers the 215 and 230 Berger ammunition (300 Winchester Magnum Ammunition).

Good luck on your build.

Ed

How about a 300 H&H Mag? It was the "original 30 Mag". It's ballistics are very similar to the 300 WinMag. Browning makes a few and so does Cooper.

How about a 300 H&H Mag? It was the "original 30 Mag". It's ballistics are very similar to the 300 WinMag. Browning makes a few and so does Cooper.

If I was going to build an H&H it would have to have Exibition grade Curly Maple with Ebony Caps for the stock, a high luster blued barrel, and an FN Mauser action. Would be a real classic. Would probably lean towards a .375 though if I was going to pull the trigger on that.

I'm interested to hear some input on the 308 Norma. I like the idea of the longer neck than the Win Mag, maybe not have the performance with lower bullets, but with heavier bullets achieve near equal capacity and equal performance.

I like the idea of the Nosler being headspaced off the shoulder. Of course how much this will help accuracy may be more theoretical than anything. There are great shooting 300 Win mags and 308 Normas out there.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Check out >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/how-does-300-win-30-nos-compare-179558/

IIWY, whichever chambering you decide on, I'd have a 1:9" twist or faster for those heavy/long bullets high BC offerings.

The .300 WM is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1k. +1 on what pburton's response; ABM now offers the 215 and 230 Berger ammunition (300 Winchester Magnum Ammunition).

Good luck on your build.

Ed

Thank you for the thread reference. I hadn't come across that particular one during my googling.

Any problems stablizing light bullets with those faster twists. I ask because with our .220 Swifts and .243, which we deer hunt with almost exculsively, we have had trouble getting lighter (50 grain in .22) (70 grain in .24) bullets shooting with 1:10 twists. 1:14 work much better for these calibers, for those bullet weights, but then down stablize heavier bullets, which isnt a problem for us since we shoot light and fast on these tiny Texas deer.

Welcome. I would go with the .300wm over the .30 Nos personally but either will work for your application. There's always a chance that the Nosler proprietary cartridges will be little more than a passing fad and I'm leary of owning anything that has only one brass supplier.

The .300wm is definitely in the top 10 and probably in the top 5 most proven rounds on the market and has been for over fifty years.

Any magnum action will work fine for you with either of the two rounds except for the short and super short magnum actions.

"The .300wm is never the wrong answer".

Thank you for the thread reference. I hadn't come across that particular one during my googling.

Any problems stablizing light bullets with those faster twists. I ask because with our .220 Swifts and .243, which we deer hunt with almost exculsively, we have had trouble getting lighter (50 grain in .22) (70 grain in .24) bullets shooting with 1:10 twists. 1:14 work much better for these calibers, for those bullet weights, but then down stablize heavier bullets, which isnt a problem for us since we shoot light and fast on these tiny Texas deer.

Not sure as I lean towards heavy/long bullets and take advantage of their BCs. I have a 27" Lilja 1:9" 3G on my .30 Lara (.300 Jarrett improved) primarily designed to propel the 215/230 Bergers and don't have problem with 180s.

Last edited:
...The .300wm is definitely in the top 10 and probably in the top 5 most proven ...
"The .300wm is never the wrong answer".

I love the xx-Noslers but like Wildrose said the 300WM is never the wrong answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.