.30 GIBBS is finally ready ...

So, now I have the brass and I have a lead on a company to load them. They specialize in obsolete ammunition. Spoke with the wife but not the gentleman who actually does the loading. They have a host of dies but don't have a .30 Gibbs so I will be investing in those, if we strike a deal. My next question is what load? I'm a hunter and, especially at the cost of ammunition for this gun, will not be putting a lot of holes in paper. Probably looking for deer size game. Any suggestions?
PM me.

Received Peterson brass yesterday and I am impressive thus far. I did a couple of forming and so far so good ...

Peterson .280 Rem brass 1 of 2.jpg

Peterson .280 Rem brass 2 of 2.jpg

Received Peterson brass yesterday and I am impressive thus far. I did a couple of forming and so far so good ...

View attachment 231562
View attachment 231564
Awesome!! That will really squeeze everything out of the Gibbs, with good brass life too!! I ran some HOT loads in my .260 AI with Peterson brass doing some pressure work up, intentionally using the same pieces of brass, and after 6 or 7 hot loadings, I can't tell the difference in primer pockets from any of the other ones. It is some tough stuff!!

Awesome!! That will really squeeze everything out of the Gibbs, with good brass life too!! I ran some HOT loads in my .260 AI with Peterson brass doing some pressure work up, intentionally using the same pieces of brass, and after 6 or 7 hot loadings, I can't tell the difference in primer pockets from any of the other ones. It is some tough stuff!!
Awesome, that's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Ed

Awesome, that's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Ed
You bet! I used some in a .338 Norma mag as well, with a 28" tube ran 300 Bergers up to 2940 fps in pressure work up, still no increased bolt lift, ejector mark, and only slight primer crater! The cases were all fine again, no loss in the primer pocket. I have noticed however, Peterson tends to have a little smaller case capacity, so keep that in mind on your work ups. In my .260AI, it made a difference of roughly 1-1.5 grains less for same velocity/pressure compared to Lapua and Federal. I have heard similar reports about the creedmoor line of cartridges as well.

You bet! I used some in a .338 Norma mag as well, with a 28" tube ran 300 Bergers up to 2940 fps in pressure work up, still no increased bolt lift, ejector mark, and only slight primer crater! The cases were all fine again, no loss in the primer pocket. I have noticed however, Peterson tends to have a little smaller case capacity, so keep that in mind on your work ups. In my .260AI, it made a difference of roughly 1-1.5 grains less for same velocity/pressure compared to Lapua and Federal.
Yeah, I noticed that it has a .001" thicker wall than the Hornady I am currently using but we shall what the overall capacity when it is fire-formed off the chamber. I Peterson has a good product going on.

I'm wondering if this Gibbs will ever be put on paper and chronographed before BETO comes to get it ?

Anyone seeking knowledge on Gibbs, buy this.

wildcats.jpg

Following with interest as to how the Peterson fire forming goes. Have read some horror stories of people trying to fire form this brass. Was thinking of trying to fire form some 30-06 AI cases with it. Between the woes of people using it and the disclaimer on the Peterson web site I've been reluctant to try it. Have a few friends who are using this brass and they absolutely rave about how good it is. Think if it works for the Gibbs I'll give it a try.