.30 GIBBS is finally ready ...

Unfortunately no I have not I had a goal to shoot 150s 3200-3300 and have achieved that with the faster burn rate powders I see lol no reason why u can't get close

@FEENIX , any update on loads you've found for your 30 gibbs?

I found an old load ad for Gibbs cartridges and the velocities stated were crazy. Wondering what kind of oomph you've squeezed out of it.
Yeah some of those old loads are a bit nuts haha. I recall seeing in a Speer (I think) manual from the late 60s data showing their 165 bullet doing 3450 in the then relatively new .300 win mag.

Certainly possible but you won't find that in any pressure tested data today

@FEENIX , any update on loads you've found for your 30 gibbs?

I found an old load ad for Gibbs cartridges and the velocities stated were crazy. Wondering what kind of oomph you've squeezed out of it.

Back 30 years ago I spent some time (as did a buddy) with the 30 Gibbs. Basically a 06 Ackley, add 75-100 fps to what a 06 will do and you're there. That is with sane pressures, course we can make them do whatever our agenda wants them to if we really wish to....The 06 AI is a far easier way to fly!

Yes I'm sure the velocities I saw were higher pressure. It was also from a 26" barrel.

Considering the recent thread showing what a standard '06 can do with a Serengeti chamber and a longer barrel, I wondered what the Gibbs might have done for feenix. I like seeing where people end up with their projects. My 30-284ai had been awesome but I don't have enough $$ for various components to adequately experiment with it right now.

Yeah some of those old loads are a bit nuts haha. I recall seeing in a Speer (I think) manual from the late 60s data showing their 165 bullet doing 3450 in the then relatively new .300 win mag.

Certainly possible but you won't find that in any pressure tested data today
Back 30 years ago I spent some time (as did a buddy) with the 30 Gibbs. Basically a 06 Ackley, add 75-100 fps to what a 06 will do and you're there. That is with sane pressures, course we can make them do whatever our agenda wants them to if we really wish to....The 06 AI is a far easier way to fly!
As noted in #148, I am propelling the 190 Berger VLD at 2806 FPS out of a 24" barrel with more powder capacity left using RL-17. I am just playing with powders I already have open, and not sure if there are better powders for it. I thought about picking it up from where I left off with the 190 VLD, but I am unsure if I want it to be that heavy for a light rifle. I have a few .308 bullets under 180g to try.

As noted in #148, I am propelling the 190 Berger VLD at 2806 FPS out of a 24" barrel with more powder capacity left using RL-17. I am just playing with powders I already have open, and not sure if there are better powders for it. I thought about picking it up from where I left off with the 190 VLD, but I am unsure if I want it to be that heavy for a light rifle. I have a few .308 bullets under 180g to try.
That seems perfectly reasonable. My 300 does about that with 225s Given the differenc in capacity I suspect we must be running very similar pressures.

we used the old 190 Hornady bt and the 200 Speer HC, one of the rifles weighed 7.5 lbs "all up" (scope, rings, rounds) and the other 8 "all up". The 7.5 rig was fairly lively:)

That seems perfectly reasonable. My 300 does about that with 225s Given the differenc in capacity I suspect we must be running very similar pressures.
You are probably right. While it is not apples to apples, below is a quick comparison with my .300 WSM with a 24" barrel.

.300 WSM, 62.5g RL-17, 2850 FPS 215 Berger - pressure on brass/heavy bolt lift.

.30 Gibbs, 57g RL-17, 2806 FPS 190 Berger - no pressure sign.

And in comparison with one of my .300 WM 24 " barrel loaded with 190 Berger, 75g H4831SC, 3043 FPS - no pressure sign.

You are probably right. While it is not apples to apples, below is a quick comparison with my .300 WSM with a 24" barrel.

.300 WSM, 62.5g RL-17, 2850 FPS 215 Berger - pressure on brass/heavy bolt lift.

.30 Gibbs, 57g RL-17, 2806 FPS 190 Berger - no pressure sign.

And in comparison with one of my .300 WM 24 " barrel loaded with 190 Berger, 75g H4831SC, 3043 FPS - no pressure sign.
My 225 load is pretty concussive blast haha. 78.5 grains of heavily compressed 8133