30 cal Minimum bearing surface in case neck?

i use then exclusively..no issues
actual use and purchases,
not internet hearsay
First off, I wouldn't take any information from PTG too seriously, that outfit has been on a down hill slide for a couple years now. The smith probably just got a little carried away with the throating reamer. Those things cut fast!

So I get the rifle home and long seat a 225 eld in a loose neck case. I close the bolt on it and it's way long when it comes out. I'm talking like won't even fit into my 3.8" long magazine and the bullet is bearly hanging on in the case.
So which is to much or not enough.

First off, I wouldn't take any information from PTG too seriously, that outfit has been on a down hill slide for a couple years now. The smith probably just got a little carried away with the throating reamer. Those things cut fast!
Yes! I have absolutely learned my lesson with Dave Kiff reamer recommendations. I think that is what happened, the reamer got away from him. I'm going to give it a brief try and if it doesn't show promise fairly quick, the barrel is getting set back.

So which is to much or not enough.
I could have lived with .235 freebore but it looks like that would have put me below the neck/ shoulder junction. .295 freebore I think would have been just about right to get me above that junction, so I think the Smith was correct in that measurement. I believe I have way more than .295 freebore. I feel more confident in dealing with seating deeper than I would like to rather than dealing with tremendous freebore. But who knows, it may work out as it sits. If it doesn't, the barrel will come off & get set back or replaced or what ever needs to happen.

I could have lived with .235 freebore but it looks like that would have put me below the neck/ shoulder junction. .295 freebore I think would have been just about right to get me above that junction, so I think the Smith was correct in that measurement. I believe I have way more than .295 freebore. I feel more confident in dealing with seating deeper than I would like to rather than dealing with tremendous freebore. But who knows, it may work out as it sits. If it doesn't, the barrel will come off & get set back or replaced or what ever needs to happen.

Custom action..... $1500
Premium barrel..... $400
Aftermarket trigger..... $250
A gunsmith that doesn't let the throating reamer go and extra .500"..... Priceless!

If my math is correct .260 will get the boatail at the neck shoulder junction on a 300 NM.
.235 is a good compromise for 215 to 230's

How do you fix a reamer that's. 003 small at the .200 line? Never had a JGS or Manson wrong.

If my math is correct .260 will get the boatail at the neck shoulder junction on a 300 NM.
.235 is a good compromise for 215 to 230's
And I figured that after it's shot enough to chase the lands, I would have been past that junction soon enough. Many lessons learned on my part. I contemplated buying a lathe doing these myself and I may do that in the future. My close friend who was going chamber it for me was in the middle of a divorce, so it wasn't a good time for him to do it. I understand no one is perfect but I had really high hopes for the Smith that done the work and I'm sure he would be more that willing to set it back but like I said earlier I don't want to wait six more weeks. I started ordering parts the first week of January and had barrel action & reamer in his hands the first week of April to thread the muzzle, chamber and barrel it to the action. I'm not complaining about the time it took to do the work or that the guy made a mistake. A wise God fearing 80 year old Lady that's blind in one eye told me last week that every dark cloud has a silver lining so I have no doubt that there will be a silver lining to this situation.

i use then exclusively..no issues
actual use and purchases,
not internet hearsay

9 out of 13 orders were wrong in some way ranging from out of spec reamers and headspace gages, improperly cut flutes leading to broken reamers, entirely wrong items shipped or orders lost but still charged. These are just my experiences which they acknowledged and attempted to make right. I currently have a credit for the last bad reamer they made for me, but I'll never use it. I'll pay for better service from JGS or Manson before I take a "free" product from PTG.

But of course that's all internet hearsay.....

I wish I would have went that route Sherm, I appreciate you telling me that cause that's what I will do next time. Probably will go with JGS or Manson. My biggest issue with PTG is the long wait. After i ordered from ptg I figured out JGS had a CIP reamer on the shelf. Well, you live and you learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.