30 baur magnum

Improvement how? I guess there may be a 3% + or - velocity gain. When I was running the Weatherby in IBS 1k....back when I was a rookie... I REALLY enjoyed kicking *** on pretty much every 300"improved" case I came across the whole season. So, it's lost on me where all the improvement is.

Just sayin...in a hunting gun the 300 WBY should be the # 1 choice in that sized case as there is no Fire Forming needed. There is a whole lot of time/effort/powder being burnt for that case capable of a gain of 3%....not to mention the cost of the reamer rental or cost and custom dies. And, truth be told...if I could do it over again I would choose the lowly 300 Win Mag over the Wby...I think that it may be a tad more accurate and less "overkill" as far as being overbore. BUT, I was brought up on the WBY and had all of the stuff for it.

Also, with this much powder being burnt...and you just GOTTA have that extra 3 - 5%, simply move up to the rum or one of the 30's based off of the 338 Lapua case. WAY simpler then fire forming. And, this coming from a guy who LOVES fire forming.....just not in this big of a case. Now, the Dasher is a whole nuther story.

Again, just my .02,

Tod

The case design itself is an improvement... Low wall taper, 40º shoulder angle, long neck, makes for a very efficient case design. It doesn't grow and need trimming like a Venturi radius shoulder does. It also (once fire-formed) sets a more consistent headspace (on cased that don't headspace off the case). There are many improvements that P.O. Ackley discovered. He was just limited by his resources at the time. With modern powders, brass, and bullets his "improved" cartridges have been more than proven to be positive improvements.

That makes perfect sense. Same goes with the Edge.....simply size and shoot. The hardest part of this process is finding 7mmSTW/8mm Rem Mag or 300 Rum brass.

These don't use the same brass. The 7mm STW/8mm RemMag are based off the .300 H&H, and the .300 RUM is based off the .404 Jefferey.

The 30Baer(35degree shoulder) 300Jarret (30-8mm rem mag), 30Hart (Ackley with less neck and shoulder blown farther forward) and 300 ackley are all very similar. They can be made from 300 weatherby or 300-375H&H. I own a 300 ackley. I run the 230gr berger @ 3100fps in the summer with a stout load of reloader 33. Its a weird large Bat action (same dimensions as a M model but bigger in dia) with a 30" Krieger. I prefer to use RWS 375 H&H brass over weatherby. Its a little more work but its tough stuff.

Don't forget the .300 AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit), and the .30 Lara... :D

Glad to meet another .300 Ackley shooter. We're few and far-between. Nice to see another one on here.

The 300 Jarrett is actually a 30-358STA not a 30-8mm mag. I've built several of those too along with a 375-358STA.

These don't use the same brass. The 7mm STW/8mm RemMag are based off the .300 H&H, and the .300 RUM is based off the .404 Jefferey.

I get that...I was just saying his problem is the STW/8mm brass and mine is the Rum brass. I guess i should have been more clear. I thought that the "or" in between them was clear. My bad.

Tod

I have over 600 new 8mm cases and 400 or so 375 H&H that I can fireform. So I'm good to go for a long time.

Don't forget the .300 AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit), and the .30 Lara... :D

Glad to meet another .300 Ackley shooter. We're few and far-between. Nice to see another one on here.

Thanks for the mention Mud! My .30 Lara is a .300 Jarrett or 30-8MM Mag with a 37.5 degree shoulder angle.

6%20of%206_zps0l2ub83q.jpg

Factory .300 WBTY ammo next to .30 Lara with 220 ELD-X seated.

.300%20Ackley%20vs%20.30%20Lara_zpshmggrl5t.jpg

Not to scale but for "visual comparison only" of .300 Ackley and .30 Lara.

8MM%20Rem%20Mag%20to%20.30%20Lara_zpsbkt6bf0s.jpg

From L to R
1 - Virgin 8MM Rem Mag brass
2 - 8MM Rem Mag brass after a couple of whacks from Whidden hydraulic forming die
3 - After resizing off Whidden custom dies
4 - Brass fire-formed off the chamber.

With the Whidden hydraulic forming die, I can preform the following brass with out fire-forming; 8MM Rem Mag, 7MM STW, .358 STA, .375 H&H, .416 Rem Mag, and .300 H&H (hardest to form at this time) and of course shoot .300 WBTY round in a pinch.

Cheers!

Thanks for the mention Mud! My .30 Lara is a .300 Jarrett or 30-8MM Mag with a 37.5 degree shoulder angle.

6%20of%206_zps0l2ub83q.jpg

Factory .300 WBTY ammo next to .30 Lara with 220 ELD-X seated.

.300%20Ackley%20vs%20.30%20Lara_zpshmggrl5t.jpg

Not to scale but for "visual comparison only" of .300 Ackley and .30 Lara.

8MM%20Rem%20Mag%20to%20.30%20Lara_zpsbkt6bf0s.jpg

From L to R
1 - Virgin 8MM Rem Mag brass
2 - 8MM Rem Mag brass after a couple of whacks from Whidden hydraulic forming die
3 - After resizing off Whidden custom dies
4 - Brass fire-formed off the chamber.

With the Whidden hydraulic forming die, I can preform the following brass with out fire-forming; 8MM Rem Mag, 7MM STW, .358 STA, .375 H&H, .416 Rem Mag, and .300 H&H (hardest to form at this time) and of course shoot .300 WBTY round in a pinch.

Cheers!

No problem Ed, thanks for the comparison image using my .300 Ackley rounds. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.