30-7mm WSM?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Phoeniceltic, Jun 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Yes Of Course it would only add to an already Accurate & Proven Cartridge.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, not really the 300 WSM is so good @ 1000 Yards you can't improve it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What's a 300 WSM?

25.0%
  4. Who needs the 30 Caliber? 6.5 Creedmoor is the Best at Everything!

50.0%
  5. 300-SMX Ultimate 30 Caliber TARGET HUNTER is on my Bucket list!

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dirtytough

dirtytough Well-Known Member

The reason to go with a WSM instead of a PRC or Win Mag in a long action imo is if that long action is short like a Tikka. The Tikka is a short long action. You can get about the same velocity out of a 300 WSM with a 215 seated long, as you can a 300 WM with a 215 shoved into the case to fit a Tikka action.

If going with a full length long action IDK why you would decide on a 300-7mm WSM.

Frog4aday likes this.
  2. Phoeniceltic

Phoeniceltic Well-Known Member

Okay, lets back up for a moment, Medium or Long or Infinite Action, Explore the Potential of the 300 WSM with 4 Grains more Powder capability. No, you cannot compare the ultimate performance with a 300 Norma Magnum. The difference is in the Efficiency of the Case Design. Hence I believe the reason the WSM is so popular and easy to tune for 1000 yards, only you get More, And if you put a 40 Degree Shoulder on it you might get even more. You can do more with the 30-7mm WSM Case than you can with the 300 Win Mag Case. Exact Volume capacity goes out the window, these are not Apples & Apples.

3. TXAoudadKlr

TXAoudadKlr Well-Known Member

Saw a 375-7WSM yesterday thought a 416WSM would be interesting

Eat Rice likes this.
  4. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Lol of course you would. You are that guy.
    You are my spirit animal. We seem to think all the same stuff is cool.

5. Frog4aday

Frog4aday Well-Known Member

DirtyTough and Phoeniceltic,
    I appreciate the follow up explanations. It helped. I'm starting to get a feel for what the intent is and why it makes 'sense'. I like the Tikka. I like the WSM cartridges. I like 'efficient' cartridges. I'm not a fan of doing a special chamber reamer, paying for 'one-off' reloading dies, just to gain 50fps. Thankfully it doesn't sound like that's what's happening here. There is a specific goal and an action and cartridge that could achieve that. Live the dream Mr. Phoeniceltic!

What I realized as I thought about this all day was that it doesn't matter if it makes ANY sense to me - what matters is if YOU want it, then it is worth doing. Sometimes the heart and mind just want what they want.

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

"IF" you feel strongly about it, go for it. All it matters is that you are happy with your decision.

Frog4aday likes this.
  7. Phoeniceltic

1. .0388 Inches is the Difference between the standard 300 WSM and the 30-7mm WSM. Just Ream your Chamber .0388 Inches Deeper and get 50-100+ FPS Gain. The Ultimate uses 7mm Blaser Brass, and punch it out 0.2+ and Rock with the Big Boys. 2.3" WSM!! Oh Yea ....

Just another Idea on the Back Burner as I have no WSM brass and 30 Cal bullets have skyrocketed in Price. I'll hang on to my tiny nest egg of boolets for now. I was just amazed at the Data I had uncovered for the 30-7wsm and was hoping someone would reply with experience. Thanks all for your interest and for the input. Slivering in the wind for now....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  8. Phoeniceltic

I added a Poll for more input.

9. therifleman556

therifleman556 Well-Known Member

Smart --- answer given for smart --- poll question ;)