30-7mm WSM?

Would you like more Powder Room in the 300 WSM?

• Total voters
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. A person could buy a .300 WSM in a SHORT action and that's great and all, but the 7mm-300WSM 'wildcat' gives about 6 more grains of powder? What are we talking velocity-wise? 50 fps gain? 100 fps? Okay...seems like a lot of effort and expense for such a small 'gain', but if that's what trips your trigger, sure...why not?

But if I'm reading this correctly, it's going to go in a LONG ACTION gun anyway? Wouldn't just getting a .300 PRC be...easier?

I feel like I've read this thread three times now and I'm still not "getting it".

The reason to go with a WSM instead of a PRC or Win Mag in a long action imo is if that long action is short like a Tikka. The Tikka is a short long action. You can get about the same velocity out of a 300 WSM with a 215 seated long, as you can a 300 WM with a 215 shoved into the case to fit a Tikka action.

If going with a full length long action IDK why you would decide on a 300-7mm WSM.

Okay, lets back up for a moment, Medium or Long or Infinite Action, Explore the Potential of the 300 WSM with 4 Grains more Powder capability. No, you cannot compare the ultimate performance with a 300 Norma Magnum. The difference is in the Efficiency of the Case Design. Hence I believe the reason the WSM is so popular and easy to tune for 1000 yards, only you get More, And if you put a 40 Degree Shoulder on it you might get even more. You can do more with the 30-7mm WSM Case than you can with the 300 Win Mag Case. Exact Volume capacity goes out the window, these are not Apples & Apples.

DirtyTough and Phoeniceltic,
I appreciate the follow up explanations. It helped. I'm starting to get a feel for what the intent is and why it makes 'sense'. I like the Tikka. I like the WSM cartridges. I like 'efficient' cartridges. I'm not a fan of doing a special chamber reamer, paying for 'one-off' reloading dies, just to gain 50fps. Thankfully it doesn't sound like that's what's happening here. There is a specific goal and an action and cartridge that could achieve that. Live the dream Mr. Phoeniceltic!

What I realized as I thought about this all day was that it doesn't matter if it makes ANY sense to me - what matters is if YOU want it, then it is worth doing. Sometimes the heart and mind just want what they want.

Okay, lets back up for a moment, Medium or Long or Infinite Action, Explore the Potential of the 300 WSM with 4 Grains more Powder capability. No, you cannot compare the ultimate performance with a 300 Norma Magnum. The difference is in the Efficiency of the Case Design. Hence I believe the reason the WSM is so popular and easy to tune for 1000 yards, only you get More, And if you put a 40 Degree Shoulder on it you might get even more. You can do more with the 30-7mm WSM Case than you can with the 300 Win Mag Case. Exact Volume capacity goes out the window, these are not Apples & Apples.

"IF" you feel strongly about it, go for it. All it matters is that you are happy with your decision.

1. .0388 Inches is the Difference between the standard 300 WSM and the 30-7mm WSM. Just Ream your Chamber .0388 Inches Deeper and get 50-100+ FPS Gain. The Ultimate uses 7mm Blaser Brass, and punch it out 0.2+ and Rock with the Big Boys. 2.3" WSM!! Oh Yea ....

Just another Idea on the Back Burner as I have no WSM brass and 30 Cal bullets have skyrocketed in Price. I'll hang on to my tiny nest egg of boolets for now. I was just amazed at the Data I had uncovered for the 30-7wsm and was hoping someone would reply with experience. Thanks all for your interest and for the input. Slivering in the wind for now....

Last edited:
How bout a 300 Blaser? Should fill a long action a little more than the WSM case. What's the benefit to a 300-7mm?

GADZOOKS!! Sir You Are Correct. If I use 300 Blaser Brass and blow out the Shoulder to WSM it creates my "300-SMX". I had NO idea there was a 300 Blaser or it's dimensions! Why is this Cartridge not Crazy Popular?! Another huge plus is the .338 Blaser Norma Brass is far less expensive than the 33 Nosler. I just need someone to give me the heads up on trimming down all this RUM Brass I bought for the SMX.

If going with a non tikka long action, I wouldn't mess with feeding issues associated with cases with blown out taper and steep shoulders, I would just build a regular 300 mag of some sort.

Thanks for the Advice Cliff, but I think you missed the entire purpose behind this Thread.
I guess I must have missed it too...
Spend a pile of time and money to take an efficient case and blow it out increasing the capacity 6-8 grains.
Now you have a case that uses nearly as much powder as say a 300 PRC, but you still struggle to run the same velocities..
Sorry where's the benefit, or efficiency?
Sounds fun if you have nothing else to do with your time and money

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.