What 7mm is best for me?

• 7mm SAUM

Votes: 176 38.3%
  • 7mm/300 WSM

Votes: 120 26.1%
  • 7mm WSM

Votes: 164 35.7%

• Total voters
I am having my 300 wsm tikka t3 rebarreled and am undecided between the 7mm/300 wsm and the 7mm SAUM. I think both have strenghts and weakness. I will be hunting in the mountains of eastern washington for mule deer and shots can be long est 700+, though I'm not ready for shots that long yet. SO primary use of gun will be mule deer eastern wa. secondly will be black bear hunting in western wa, shots typically much closer as the forests are heavy, and third occasional elk hunt eastern wa, typically bow hunt for elk though. I'm looking to change rounds because I would prefer less recoil so I can enjoy practicing shooting more and improve the ballistics of the 7mm.

reasons for the 7mm saum. It comes within 100 fps of the 7mm/300 wsm but with 8-10% less power. If anything should happen to pet load while on trip although hard to find factory ammo available. With the 8-10% less powder also comes less recoil.

reasons for the 7/300 wsm able to push the bullet alittle faster but at the cost of more reciol.

The reason for no factory 7 wsm is because case forming would be more difficult when trying to use high quality brass from norma or nosler (would require fire forming), also the neck is shorter than the 7/300 wsm.

This will on a long action so I can seat the bullet out farther than if it were limited to a short action. Thanks for any input.

I had a 7mm WSM and loved it except AMMO was so hard to find. All my local gunshops carry 3 times more choices and brands for 300WSM than 7MMWSM so I made the switch to the 300 since I dont hand load.

7SAUM ,and never look back great cartridge, there will be many who disagree but if you look at all the facts , brass avalibility is the only concern for most going WSM. I have never had a problem getting SAUM brass yet , and a new custom 7SAUM pushing 154GR out of a 23.5 tube @ 3050 is pretty good . Thats 1/2GR under max load too.

IIRC Remington makes a run of SAUM brass twice a year or thereabouts.... Just ask Midway to let you know when they become available and buy what you need. I have several hundred pieces here because I always buy what I need for years and years in advance when I get a rifle and after I decide to keep either that rifle and/or keep using that cartridge.

Also you can buy it on GB or here or on The Campfire.

SAUM is certainly no end all do all cartridge but I'm extremely happy with both the 300 and 7mm versions.

They nicely bridge the gap between the 308 based cartridge family and the super mags and leave me wanting nothing else in that category. From 120gr and 140gr Ballistic Tips screaming along at unholy speeds from the 7 to 165 and 180gr Accubonds flying along at quite respectable speeds from the 300 I feel that they fill a huge gap in my available battery.

They're not finicky at all either if you use a medium burning powder such as Varget and they're quite happy with 22" barrels which is great for a short and handy rifle and barrel whip is almost a non-issue.

Long live the SAUM's....

Bob

I have mostly wildcats, but in this case, I would go with the SAUM. The velocity difference is negligible, and it has a better neck and has an advantage to fit better in the magazine with long bullets. If you want better brass, use 300 SAUM Norma. This is what I now use in my 6.5 SS and it works great!......Rich

Thats a hard decision but i think id go with the SAUM. Little more efficient cartridge than the WSM. It is a hair slower but 100 fps or less isnt enough to boo hoo about.

+ 2 on the 7mm WSM

Few years back the 1k world record was set with the 7mm WSM.

Suggest a 26" to take advantage of the Velocity.

Reloader 25 and 180 gr Berger VLD makes a good load

I use H4831sc with 160 gr AB a lot.

7mm SAUM gets my vote. I own a 24" BDL and it spits 150 grainers at 3050 all day and 175 grainers at 2850. Also if you decide to make it a long range rig a 28"-30" barrel will spit the 180 grainers comfortably at 2950-3100.

Reuben

Gunwerks seems to have a pretty good handle on things hunting and long range. Read their article on the development of the 7mmLRM. It makes sense to me. I already had a 7 made from 8x68s and it is nearly identical. I chased the fastest and baddest for a while and most are just not what they are cracked up to be. They burn barrels and powder faster and that is about the only advantage.

Gunwerks seems to have a pretty good handle on things hunting and long range. Read their article on the development of the 7mmLRM. It makes sense to me. I already had a 7 made from 8x68s and it is nearly identical. I chased the fastest and baddest for a while and most are just not what they are cracked up to be. They burn barrels and powder faster and that is about the only advantage.

Mustang.....well put! There is always the option of necking down a 50 BMG and increasing velocity, but at what cost? This is exactly why I quit using the 300 RUM and went with my 30/375 S.I. (an improved version of the Ruger case) which holds a little over 96 grains instead of the 110 +- of the RUM. I have nothing against anyone building barrel burners as I am kind of a speed freak myself. I just think that if you want to become a good long range shot on game, you need to shoot a lot. Usually, by the time you get a load developed for a barrel burner and get it sighted in, you need a new barrel and you can start over.......Rich

There is some good reading on the 7's on 6mm Br website. Might want to check it out.
I would go with the 7 RSAUM. Basically, identical to the 7 WSM with a long neck and slightly less powder. Good brass to with Norma 300 SAUM necked down, or just use Remington.
Can't go wrong with either choice thou.

+1 the SAUM is the best for a short action 7mm. The Army Marksmanship Unit also shoots the 7mm RSAUM for 1000yd matches with 180gr Berger VLDs.

I'd go wsm.
Is the 300 wsm case identical to a 325 wsm case? Thinking maybe a 325 wsm necked to 7mm. A "7stwsm" so to speak:D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.