.30-.378 Is this a real shoulder buster?

How about it people.. Is the 30-378 for long range a real tooth filling loosener and arm buster?

Thanks in advance

Depending on your load and the rifle weight, the 30/378 has loads of recoil.

My rifle weighs 8.5 lbs and with 200 grain bullets loaded to max, it cranks out 68.6 ft/lbs
of recoil without a brake (Not for the faint of heart). With a tuned brake (Mine) it measured 17.8 ft/lbs and is easy on the shoulder now. In our test, The Weatherby Accubrake reduced recoil by 51% still placing it in the mid 30s. Still strong , but manageable.

J E CUSTOM

YES!!!

I shot one for years without a brake with 200g to 220g bullets. Bullet size just changes how quick it hits you, hard. I re barreled my rifle to 30-338 Lap imp, which is pretty similar. Shot it for several years without a break too. I thought that I would rather get the **** kicked out of me than have to were ear plugs to shoot when hunting. I cut my eye brow for the last time and decided to break it. I really do not like shooting rifles without breaks now. All the way down to 30-06.

Steve

I bought a 338-378 Mk V Accumark and absolutely hated it. Almost sold it until I modded it. Re-barreled with a Bartlein 30", JP Systems brake, and re-stocked with a B&C Tactical Varmint that fit. Currently, it's livable. The brake is great at recoil reduction and the stock fits nicely (although it is considered a low-end stock).

The original, which would probably pretty much mimic the 30-378 in recoil, was pretty miserable. It was a flinch machine big time.

Great round, but any recoil reduction would probably be more than welcome.

I had one about forty years ago made on an Infield. It had some kind of poor excuse for a brake called a Pendleton Dekicker. I was running 180 grainers on top of 118 grains H870. By the nineth shot I always started to flinch. I traded it off for a .30-06 which I never fired and sold it.

Now there is a very good brake on everything I have.

"it cranks out 68.6 ft/lbs of recoil without a brake (Not for the faint of heart). With a tuned brake (Mine) it measured 17.8 ft/lbs "...

Thats one hell of a lot of reduction!! Told me all I needed to know. Thanks!

Sully, I've had a Mark V for 14 years and never had any recoil pain with the factory brake. Shoot the 215 Berger now and it's very accurate with new barrel. WBY in this cal has come with a brake standard for many years. Good luck

Sully, I've had a Mark V for 14 years and never had any recoil pain with the factory brake. Shoot the 215 Berger now and it's very accurate with new barrel. WBY in this cal has come with a brake standard for many years. Good luck

Thanks for your input

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.