30-30 loading 180 grain

I've shot the 165 ballistic tips out of mine pretty frequently. They shoot good and I'd say at 200 they'd still open enough on deer sized game if put into the shoulder. I've made hits on deer out to 150 with them and they seem to do just fine. Haven't played with it much since I got my 7 mm08 barrel though so don't remember what powder and charge weight without looking .
I'd say the 180 would possibly be a little to tough maybe . Try shooting them into wet newspaper at the desired range and see how they penetrate and open up
I will try that and might post back the results

Got mine taken apart and ready to bed it in the next week or two. I was thinking of casting up some 170s for it,but will probably run them mostly through the 94. Fun playing with the 110 v-max with it. Interested in how the 180s do.

Tagging in-
I have a 340C that I shot my first deer with 40 years ago. And, I just bought a Foremost(JCPenney's) 340 that is serial #1. Looks new! Going to start loading up for coyote's and Deer also. This post will get me off to a great start!

I have been loading 170gr. Speer FP for my many 30-30's with very good accuracy. I have read of the 180gr. RN bullets being used in Win. 94's and Marlin 336's with good results. I have some reloading data I found for them. I'd have to go dig it out.

I tried loading the Nosler 165gr. ballistic tips for my 340's and my son's H&R M58 single shot and could not get them loaded short enough to work. What length are you guys trimming your brass too and what over all length are you loading too.

Ok now that I have your attention. I have a stevens/savage 325 bolt action 30-30. A mag is used for this rifle not a tube. So it has allowed me some great fun in reloading. However I was considering trying a 180 grain pill. Not trying to blow up my beloved rifle. But think its possible. Ill be using spears grandslam for 200 yard max hunting.
Your thoughts or chastisements? Lol
I bet the 143 lever hammer bullet would be interesting in the 30-30

I have been loading 170gr. Speer FP for my many 30-30's with very good accuracy. I have read of the 180gr. RN bullets being used in Win. 94's and Marlin 336's with good results. I have some reloading data I found for them. I'd have to go dig it out.

I tried loading the Nosler 165gr. ballistic tips for my 340's and my son's H&R M58 single shot and could not get them loaded short enough to work. What length are you guys trimming your brass too and what over all length are you loading too.
ill get back with you

What about 130gr Barnes TSX? Your velocities would be much higher, recoil milder and at 200 yds you could drop any deer with a complete pass thru. Pretty sure the TSX expands down as low as 1400.
I have never tried the Barnes in my 30 Herrett, I just got stuck on the Sierras because they shot so well. When I get back to the store I'll pick up a box.

125 Speer TNT for coyotes and 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip for deer. The TNT opens up pretty quickly but at 30-30 velocity the BT is really a great deer bullet that expands and exits most of the time even through both shoulders.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.