30.06 plenty gun for elk?

Sorry the sst did what it was suppose to expanded well weight with dry blood was 124.? Opened up & mushroomed nice just no exit ...yea first elk I shot didn't want it to be first elk I track & loose after examing sec shot was a waste but better safe than sorry ... I dunno what case. To go with I live in ny 308 will drop any thing here but when I travel I'm thinking I want a bigger case may be 338 open to suggestions of what others have shot elk with & what damage was done to animal

Always put in another if they're standing and you can regardless of caliber. To many unknowns not to.

Only you can decide if it's worth it to move up in power. Traveling can add issues your home court doesn't have.

Well I feel like I have successfully opened up the Pandora's box. Listening to everyone here, I think I am gonna invest in a 300 WM soon. Maybe trade it with my .06 and keep the 7mm for deer. This way I can have a sure caliber that'll put down an elk at 1000 yards if the need arrives. But for the next year, the .06 will have to do till I graduate and get a real job!

Dosh, thanks for your generous offer. I think I will have to try those here soon. I am in Chandler.

I've shot 6 elk in my life with my 06. All with the Horn. 180 grn BTSP. from 75 to 300 yards. With the 06 good shot placement at longer distances is a must.

Well I feel like I have successfully opened up the Pandora's box. Listening to everyone here, I think I am gonna invest in a 300 WM soon. Maybe trade it with my .06 and keep the 7mm for deer. This way I can have a sure caliber that'll put down an elk at 1000 yards if the need arrives. But for the next year, the .06 will have to do till I graduate and get a real job!

Dosh, thanks for your generous offer. I think I will have to try those here soon. I am in Chandler.

If you have a 7mm mag, that could do some pretty good damage at longer ranges than the '06. Just a thought...

I personally find that the 30.06 is more than enough for Elk.

I will agree on the importance of knowing ones limits and that a good bullet is a must.

More than one Bull Elk has fallen to the 30.06 in my family

More can be better, less may work but the 30.06 will do the job if you do yours.

MB

After much time of kicking the can around the yard I dunno witch way to go I'm wanting a bigger gun than .308 for elk I wount take a shoot over 500 yds cuz I have no where to practice at that range I shoot at 300 yds on a regular been looking at 7mm magnum but dunno a 338 or ??? Would like some input I don't own any larger than a.308 cuz my max range where I hunt is 140 yds with the sun just right & a slight breeze to move a branch at 100 yds .... The new gun would only be for out west but I would like to shoot it regularly to be confident in it .... Any In put form people who have harvested elk would be great at 500 yds my .308 com paired to 7mm is about 500 lbs of impact diffrence but both are over 1,200 .. Any input would be great thanx

After much time of kicking the can around the yard I dunno witch way to go I'm wanting a bigger gun than .308 for elk I wount take a shoot over 500 yds cuz I have no where to practice at that range I shoot at 300 yds on a regular been looking at 7mm magnum but dunno a 338 or ??? Would like some input I don't own any larger than a.308 cuz my max range where I hunt is 140 yds with the sun just right & a slight breeze to move a branch at 100 yds .... The new gun would only be for out west but I would like to shoot it regularly to be confident in it .... Any In put form people who have harvested elk would be great at 500 yds my .308 com paired to 7mm is about 500 lbs of impact diffrence but both are over 1,200 .. Any input would be great thanx

I think you need to read your posts before posting and use spell check...I can't really tell what you are trying to say, but if you are asking which gun will work best at 500 yards on elk, a 7mag or 308 will both do just fine. I would use whichever one is more accurate and you are more comfortable with.

Yes yes would help if u could read what I messed up typing .... I dunno if I should buy a 7mm or stick with .308 I have now ....at 500 yds the 7mm has 500 ft lbs of energy more than the 308

If 500 is your max, I see no reason to get a 7mag. The 308 will do just fine at that range, and out passed that truthfully.

If a .243 can kill an elk at 688 yds. a 30-06 will do just fine.

joseph

For some reason it won't embed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hY0w1c-gf18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Target bullets have light, very light in fact, jackets. they are so light they are more like a varmint bullet. so I would assume that you retained hardly any weight. did you weigh the bullet that you retrieved from the cow? a hunting bullet is made to maintain its weight which retains its inertia instead of petering out. there are lots of guys that have shot elk from 1000 yards. I would say you need a different bullet.

This bull was taken by 308 A-Max 168 from Browning Bar 20" out of 722 yards. It walked 10 meters and dropped.
I think 3006 should do the same even better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.