30-06 Chamber Wildcats

375rifleman

Hello I just bought a new Mossberg Patriot 22" 1 in 10 twist 30-06, I've been thinking about rechambering it to 30-06 Ackley Improved, 30-06 JDJ, or other 30-06 wildcat/clambering. I want to still be able to use factory 30-06 Springfield ammunition if need be. I don't know if you could do that with the 30-06 JDJ or not ? I only ask because the 30-06 JDJ has a velocity edge over the 30-06 Ackley Improved if there is another wildcat/chambering that out does the 30-06 JDJ I'm also open to learning about or using it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

My only question is why ?? Seems like an aweful lot for 100-200 fps, I hardly think any animals chest cavity will notice the difference...I I've .308 holes !!

I have a .30-06 AI 40º that pushes 185 VLD's to 2,900-3,000 fps MV... It's a great cartridge.

If you wanted more than that, the .30 Gibbs or .300 Sherman is about the most you're going to get out of the .30-06-size case.

For those wondering, the work is not that hard for the .30-06 AI. You load .30-06 Sprg cases with a mild load, then go to the range and shoot them. Then you have .30-06 AI brass. Pretty simple. You will need proper dies. Whoever cuts your chamber, make sure your dies match the chamber and shoulder angle.

Probably because the 30-06 is a fun plate form too build off of.

Yes, not cheap too customize, but for those of us with special needs that enjoy this stuff it's fun.

AI, SHERMON, and the one you mentioned, all fun too tinker with as they give us more bang per buck with out doing the belted mag thing.

And the 100 too 200 fts extends target range from 1200 or 1400 out to 1500 + yards

One might consider a bit faster twist if planing on the longer 190 to 200 gr bullets,,, most 165 and 180 gr will work fine with a 1:10 twist.

Others with much more know will chime in with what works better.

Don

The Sherman or Gibbs (and I imagine the JDJ) aren't quite like the AI though - you can't simply fire factory 30-06 ammunition without having some serious headspacing issues. The shoulder is being pushed forward a bit more than the AI. That being said, they are easy cartridges to handload for and do offer a bit more oomph to the 30-06.

The Sherman or Gibbs (and I imagine the JDJ) aren't quite like the AI though - you can't simply fire factory 30-06 ammunition without having some serious headspacing issues. The shoulder is being pushed forward a bit more than the AI. That being said, they are easy cartridges to handload for and do offer a bit more oomph to the 30-06.

You are correct, with the .30 Gibbs, you will either need .30 Gibbs brass (which Midway sells) or .270 Win or .280 Remington brass to use to form your loads. For the .300 Sherman, .270 Win or .280 Rem brass to form.

I want to still be able to use factory 30-06 Springfield ammunition if need be. I don't know if you could do that with the 30-06 JDJ or not ?

I've owned the 30-06 JDJ in the T/C Encore.

The above can't be done due to headspace issues. The shoulder of the JDJ version is blown considerably forward from the standard '06.

The 30-06 JDJ is certainly the most case capacity available in the '06 case.

Mine was a 15" barrel and would push 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to 2715 FPS.

Another option would be the 30-280 Ackley Improved. Use the Nosler 280AI brass and neck it up to 30 cal. I've done that one too. It will duplicate the 30-06 JDJ. I used 30-06 AI dies for reloading.

Regards,
Rog

I've owned the 30-06 JDJ in the T/C Encore.

The above can't be done due to headspace issues. The shoulder of the JDJ version is blown considerably forward from the standard '06.

The 30-06 JDJ is certainly the most case capacity available in the '06 case.

Mine was a 15" barrel and would push 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to 2715 FPS.

Another option would be the 30-280 Ackley Improved. Use the Nosler 280AI brass and neck it up to 30 cal. I've done that one too. It will duplicate the 30-06 JDJ. I used 30-06 AI dies for reloading.

Regards,
Rog

Rog is the 280 AI case the same ?? That is the easiest solution I have heard the case dimensions are different?? Anyone?lightbulb

Rog is the 280 AI case the same ?? That is the easiest solution I have heard the case dimensions are different?? Anyone?lightbulb

The 30-.280 AI case is similar to the .30-06 AI case, but yes, they are slightly different. If you want to use .30-06 Sprg brass, then I'd go with the .30-06 AI. If you want more than that, go with the .300 Sherman or .30-06 JDJ, but you will need to form brass from .270 Win or .280 Rem cases, as they are longer than the .30-06 case.

The .30 Gibbs and .30-06 JDJ are similar, but the .300 Sherman and .30-06 JDJ are VERY similar.

The 280 AI case is a bit longer in the body than the '06 AI case. Biggest benefit of doing a 30-280 AI is simply being able to neck up the Nosler 280 Ackley brass and you're good to go as with any other round.

You know, I never understood the AI concept if you want 300 win. mag. velocities and you're going to buy a new rifle why not buy a 300 win. mag. and be done with it. Your talking a Mossberg with a 22 inch barrel, most 300 win. mag. barrels are at least 24 inches or longer to get the most out of the cartridge.

You know, I never understood the AI concept if you want 300 win. mag. velocities and you're going to buy a new rifle why not buy a 300 win. mag. and be done with it. Your talking a Mossberg with a 22 inch barrel, most 300 win. mag. barrels are at least 24 inches or longer to get the most out of the cartridge.

Someone might only have a spare .473" bolt face action laying around and don't want to spend the money on a new mag box and follower and modify the action, or go buy another action. It also might be a passed-down action with sentimental value and they don't want to take a mill to it. They also may not want the extra recoil or like muzzle brakes.

Also, my .30-06 AI can push a 185gr VLD to almost 3K with a 26" barrel, with almost complete efficiency, and only 2/3 of the muzzle blast, and recoil, and with less powder consumption than my .300 WinMag. It's just a more efficient case with the right powder/bullet combo.

Nothing wrong with either cartridge, but some folks (like me) like to tinker around with wildcats and see how far we can push the limits. It's just something that you have to be into to really understand why, and if you're not, then you won't fully understand it. Just like some people don't understand why we like custom rifles, instead of just being happy to buy off-the-shelf 700 ADL's or cheap Savages right off the rack like normal average people. Same reason some folks are content with $120 Tasco scopes, and most of us prefer higher quality glass. Same scenario.

Someone might only have a spare .473" bolt face action laying around and don't want to spend the money on a new mag box and follower and modify the action, or go buy another action. It also might be a passed-down action with sentimental value and they don't want to take a mill to it. They also may not want the extra recoil or like muzzle brakes.

Also, my .30-06 AI can push a 185gr VLD to almost 3K with a 26" barrel, with almost complete efficiency, and only 2/3 of the muzzle blast, and recoil, and with less powder consumption than my .300 WinMag. It's just a more efficient case with the right powder/bullet combo.

Nothing wrong with either cartridge, but some folks (like me) like to tinker around with wildcats and see how far we can push the limits. It's just something that you have to be into to really understand why, and if you're not, then you won't fully understand it. Just like some people don't understand why we like custom rifles, instead of just being happy to buy off-the-shelf 700 ADL's or cheap Savages right off the rack like normal average people. Same reason some folks are content with $120 Tasco scopes, and most of us prefer higher quality glass. Same scenario.
Shouldn't you have a longer barrel than 22" for a 30/06 AI ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.