2nd and 3rd rifles for hunt?

Years back on a guided combo Elk / Mulie hunt my beloved .270win did not make it off the plane. The outfitter told my guide to give me his backup rifle. I was miserable. A Remington 600 Mohawk in .243win. Under gunned much? The guide grilled me on my shooting skills and gave me good numbers over distances. He found me a 6x6 elk just inside a treeline at 165yds. Told me where to hold and I let er fly. A puff of dust off the fur signaled a hit, the bull walked in a circle, about 50ft. I was ready to put another round in it but the guide said to hold off, and sure enough it went down on its knees and laid over on its side. Significant parts of both lungs and the bottom of the heart were jelly. I think it was loaded with 100gr Swift A-frames. I had some new respect for the little .243win. Also filled out my tag on two mulies, one at over 450 yds. Dropped in their tracks. When I got home I couldn't find a Rem 600 in .243 so I bought a Model Seven. It's been my backup rifle ever since. I do not feel under gunned with it at all and its nice and light and will shoot the warts off a pickle at 200yds consistently. I had to use it once when a horse fell and rolled on my rifle in its scabbard damaging the scope. Again in that instance the .243 served me well. With me it was all about what I could afford and shoot well with.
I didn't want to admit this but, the last elk I got was with the Creedmoor and 140 AB's at 143 yards. I didn't include it on my list of options as I don't feel it's the right cartridge for this hunt. I will say this, it took one step and buried its antlers into the mud and never moved. And I didn't even have a man bun! 🤣. That was a hunt in the Uinta's on the North slope 4 miles packed in and nothing for real distance. It's a Barrett Fieldcraft with a VX6 so perfect for packing.

I've got options and won't rely on someone else's rifle. I'm just undecided and like to hear what others have to say. I maybe looking into it too much. The 7x57AI is ready to go while I'd have to play around with my other three and come up with a load. That's why I started the thread, if I go to the 338-06, 9.3, or 300 I need to start now with load development.
Developing a load for a 338-06 can't be to tough. It didnt take me long to get a good load for my 338 RCM. 59.0 grains of A2520 behind a 180 grain accubond is giving me a bit over 2800 fps out of the factory 20 " barrel, and will consistently yield .5", 3 shot groups @ 100.

If the 6.5 Fieldcraft is still an option that package is what I'd take along. Tough to beat a rifle that's light like that and yet has enough weight to be shootable under duress...

I didn't want to admit this but, the last elk I got was with the Creedmoor and 140 AB's at 143 yards. I didn't include it on my list of options as I don't feel it's the right cartridge for this hunt. I will say this, it took one step and buried its antlers into the mud and never moved. And I didn't even have a man bun! 🤣. That was a hunt in the Uinta's on the North slope 4 miles packed in and nothing for real distance. It's a Barrett Fieldcraft with a VX6 so perfect for packing.
I agree. I wasn't recommending a .243 for Elk. nor are you with the Creedmoor. The point was it was what was available at the moment and it did the job. If you can put the right bullet in the right spot it will get the job done.

I have been using a 6.5x308 wild cat ,260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5x06 to take elk cleanly for several decades. Never the slightest problem. Use one of the copper mono's, Barnes, Hammer etc. Always have given me complete penetration thru both shoulders. Your 7x57 with one of the mono ( 140gr ) bullets is more than capable for elk.

Congrats on the draw, i researched 39 also when my 10points started burning a hole in my pocket. I missed the draw completely while in the hospital with a stroke. Spent most of the winter in there.
I am now looking for the leftover list but the g&f site is not kicking out the elk list for me. Everytrip I make has me taking a main rifle & 2 spares. All of your choices will be adequate. I'm partial to the 7x57A.I. as i have a 257 Bob a.I. & a 6.5x257 Bob a.i., both are based on 7x57 brass. As others Said.; I would go with the lightest weight that i can shoot the best and most consistent.
I'm curious to hear how 39 goes for you, looking forward to next years choice.
You must be confused. We do not have or use points in Idaho. There are NO left-over tags for out-of state hunters and the out of state tags sold out early.

Last edited: