521 2nd or 3rd rifle

Garrett Mathews

Hi all,
Newly joined and checking things out! I've hunted elk 3 times, 1 with a bow and 2 rifle hunts. Thinking about heading back to 521 where I've been twice, both times on the huntsman near clear fork creek. I'm thinking of trying some place new this year. Any suggestions as far as places to check out? I've heard about anthracite and dark canyon but haven' been there. I'll be on foot probably camping and also have 2 Muley points. Thanks!

Hi all,
Newly joined and checking things out! I've hunted elk 3 times, 1 with a bow and 2 rifle hunts. Thinking about heading back to 521 where I've been twice, both times on the huntsman near clear fork creek. I'm thinking of trying some place new this year. Any suggestions as far as places to check out? I've heard about anthracite and dark canyon but haven' been there. I'll be on foot probably camping and also have 2 Muley points. Thanks!

Wish I could help you. I hunt near the west muddy or around electric mountain.

Last edited:
Hunted elk in 521 for the first time in 2nd Rifle of 2016. We hunted on the Northwest side of the unit between Crater Peak and Overland Reservoir. Didn't have much luck there at all but planning on going back this year for 1st rifle. Been doing alot of desk scouting and looking really hard at the Raggad Wilderness area as well as The Huntsman. We are going out the Labor Day weekend to do some scouting and mainly get familiar with the landscape.

I've tried to research info on this unit and find it very hard to find any info. I know that it's a heavily pressured unit.

I'm taking it that you didn't have much luck at the huntsman? Was it crowded there with other hunters?

I've hunted unit 521 and the raggeds. We went 3 for 4 on bulls our first year out with rifle. Elk are there but can be tricky to find. Decent amount of scrub oak as well. I camped at the erickson springs campground. Gets a decent amount of pressure but once you get in the wilderness area pressure backs off.

Colorado 2017 Harvest Reports are out and numbers look to be way down in gmu521. Previous years in 1st rifle was a 40% success rate and 2017 had a 19% success rate. I put in for 1st rifle this year. Curious to know why such a drop in harvest success...previous years show the herd to be trending up, so was weather a factor, or????? It's kind of disappointing to see these numbers like this.

Anyone have and thoughts, input, or can shed some light on the situation?

Colorado 2017 Harvest Reports are out and numbers look to be way down in gmu521. Previous years in 1st rifle was a 40% success rate and 2017 had a 19% success rate. I put in for 1st rifle this year. Curious to know why such a drop in harvest success...previous years show the herd to be trending up, so was weather a factor, or????? It's kind of disappointing to see these numbers like this.

Anyone have and thoughts, input, or can shed some light on the situation?

I looked and difference is appr 53 less bulls taken than 2016 (103),2015 had 110bulls taken but 2014 had 62 bulls taken and 2011 dropped to 37 bulls . I think the year it got to 41% was 2015 they taken 110 bull and about same cows. I think one of the problem is you can draw cow and bull tag first season and year 2015/2016 almost same amount hunters 555/558 but you had more hunters fill cow.

You had more hunters 2017 (54) and you could of had hunter that filled cow tag and had bull tag but didn't hunt bull tag. I did that one year got my cow first 3rd day of the 5 day season. Could also have hunters that only hunt weekend.

I also thing one problem is you have guys packing in for 2nd season. First ends Wed then 2nds starts Sat or you could have some scouting.

I've hunted unit 521 and the raggeds. We went 3 for 4 on bulls our first year out with rifle. Elk are there but can be tricky to find. Decent amount of scrub oak as well. I camped at the erickson springs campground. Gets a decent amount of pressure but once you get in the wilderness area pressure backs off.

PM Sent.

huntaxhunta I tried sending you a PM but it wouldn't go through. Got a couple questions I'd like to ask you...Mainly got questions on the camp ground you stayed at..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts