2fer at the FFL today!

entoptics

D56_0822.JPG

Went to pick up the top rifle and got the 2nd one too! Bit of a long story so bear with me...

Top rifle is an older model 7mm Mag Long Range Hunter, which I impulsively purchased from a member here. I was really looking for just an action, and the plan was to do a build with a X-Caliber 264 WM I picked up for a steal around Black Friday. The price for the whole rifle was only a $100 more than I was seeing for just an action, so I went ahead and grabbed it, as I really like the stock, and it is identical to a 300 WM LRH I already have. The LRH system isn't fancy, but danged if I don't love the ergos on my 300WM. It wears a Shilen barrel now, but otherwise stock.

So what about the 110 High Country? Some of you may remember I posted about getting a 7mm Mag 110 HC back in late November, and that it had a horrifically machined chamber. I sent it back to the mothership of course. I didn't really want 7mm, so I requested that they rebarrel with a 300 WM if that was an option. About 3 weeks ago (1.5 months after I returned it), they said "Rifle can't be fixed, we'll send you a new one. If you want 300 WM, it'll have to go through an FFL". Didn't make sense to me, as a new serial number is a new serial number, but whatever. I said "Yes. Let me know when it ships..."

Silence...

Went to pick up the LRH today, filled out all the paperwork, and was putting it together (seller sent it in pieces so it would fit the box). I'd told my FFL about my woes with the High Country, and that there'd be another one in route at some point. It's a real small shop, almost "appointment only", so apparently Saturday is their "see what we got this week day". The other guy who works there was opening various boxes, and said "Hey? Didn't you say you had a 110 High Country in the warranty pipeline? Got one right here." I jokingly replied "Did it come from from Westfield Massachusetts?" He's like "Uh...actually...yeah...?"

Got a $10 discount on the transfer fees, since it was a 2Fer, and saved a 40 mile roundtrip drive. w000t!!!

Unfortunately, couldn't shoot the High Country today, as ammo for my old 300WM LRH are seated to long to chamber, and since I didn't know I was about to get it, I didn't make any fresh stuff at SAAMI specs.

I did get to shoot the 7mm LRH though. Might be a keeper instead of getting rebarreled. Only shot 4 groups, using SAAMI sized hand loads, with a mid-high charge of H1000 and 175 ELD-X and 180 ELD-M. 2 sub-MOA and 2 at about 1.5 MOA. 2 of the groups would have been even better, but I whipped up a couple extra rounds this morning, and clearly should have recalibrated my scale or something. The batch I made 2 months ago for the original 110 HC in 7mm, ran 50 fps slower than the 3 rounds I made this morning to top off the missing rounds. 2 out of 3 were high fliers (see left hand groups below). If those had been consistent with the other rounds, I think the groups woulda been real nice.
IMG_4510.JPG

Top left group is a quicky from my old 300WM to test a scope I thought might be bad. Other 4 are the used 7mm LRH. Left set is 1 gr apart H1000 ELD-X, right set is 1 gr apart 180 ELD-M. Show's potential, considering the ammo and wind conditions weren't awesome.

Anyway. Pretty happy with the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.