FFL Required?

dwm

I am considering sending my barrelled action in to have it the action trued and a new barrel put on.

The people I talked to said that as the owner of the barrelled action, I could send it directly to them without having to go through an FFL. They also said that they would ship it directly back to me, no FFL involved either.

They are a major manufacturer and I am sure they are right, but this goes against my current understanding.

Is what they are telling me true?

Doug

DWM
Yes, everything you've been told it true. I personally have had nothing but problems with UPS (they always want to see a FFL#). When I use FEDEX I've never had a problem. They wouldn't let me use duct tape on the latches.

Here is a link FEDEX

They should let you ship it ground, not overnight.

dwm, Fed Ex still requires overnight for a pistol (real pain), but has been shipping ground for rifles. The only advantage of using a FFL is that they can legally mail it and save some shipping costs.

Go to a UPS HUB and not a UPS store. You do not need a FFL to ship or recieve Your gun that you already have. As long as it is going to a manufacturer, or a gunsmith, and they can ship directly back to you with no FFL needed. Or go to the Post Office. I go to the Post Office for most of my shipments of firearms, unless someone wants a tracking # to be able to see exactly were the package is at. Then I ship it at UPS. Just make sure you put it in a box with NO markings on it that says it is a firearm. The only time you have to ship overnight is for a pistol. I have never been asked to see my FFL from any place but a UPS store. Most of these places just do not know the law.

Dave King posted this back in November.

Here is some info from the BATF site:

"(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

here's the source document.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

There will probably also be State laws to check at source and destination.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.