FFL charges

Most places are between $25-$50 Around me. Some are as High as $100-$125 but they just don't want to do them and that's how they keep from doing them

We have a local guy in mt who only charges
20 however I know in my case I have my ffl up because it simply wasn't worth the headache to do transfers.I feel Since I wasn't willing to keep mine I really have no right to complain about whatever cost others charge.
I try to pay more then the bare minimum or at least support the business in other ways.

~$25 in the Carolinas, which I believe is reasonable for 10min worth of distraction.
But I would be willing to pay ~$50 for them to just not screw it up..

I had a collector S&W Schofield sent to a local dealer from an estate sale.
Everyone working there kept saying they hadn't seen it yet.
Checking daily, then weekly, 3wks later I found the gun under their glass -for sale!
Then, I had to prove it was mine..

Tried another local dealer for BAT actions sent to them.
Two occasions, different actions, different counter workers, both just handed me boxes of parts as they seen them,, not understanding that I needed them transferred to me (as guns). One tried to assert a waiting period as though a pistol transfer (in another state I guess)(there is no waiting period here)..

I know that each gun shop has an FFL, who likely knows what they're doing, but their hired help & salesmen often know nothing in this regard.

Mine charges nothing extra but many FFL do not want to deal with out of state shipped guns directly from non ffls to transfer to another in state citizen. I just completed one a month ago from another LRH member.

My local FFL is $25 per transfer form. As many firearms as you want on the single form no extra cost. I have done 5+ at a time over the years.

Some of the prices some other FFL charge is robbery. $100 per firearm in one of the "free" states for literally 10 mins work is unacceptable to me. I could understand it with what some states may require not on the fed side. I can even understand charging more for dealing with a out of state private to fll to private transfer as liability and work is increased. But anything over $50 per single transfer is over charging for basic FFL transfer.

IMO, FFL holders should look at how service stations with convenience stores and mechanic garage attached look at fuel. It's a incentive to get customers in your shop for your primary services and goods and to experience your customer service and relationship biulding. Very similar to the point of doing safety inspections.

Charge enough for your 10-15 mins of time and overhead.. Or look at it as a community service and to support our 2nd amendment rights. The more guns and gun owners the harder it is to chip away at it. My FFL is a small country store with ethanol free fuel service. They maintain an FFL to support the local community same as with the fuel.

Wonder if I could setup a direct non profit FFL hmmmmm.

Part of the stipulation for being licensed is "making a profit'. You MUST set-up a company, a fed tax ID is required. If you are not profitable, the IRS will declare you a hobby, eventually. What many say 10-15 minutes easily turns into 1/2hr. Then, a firearm comes in from one of the auction sites and the guy who 'won' the auction decides he wants to send it back,,,,, and the seller isn't FFL! My base shop rate is $70/hr. Transfers aren't worth it for me. I don't normally do firearms transfers, there's a gunshop in town that will for $25..

Recently I purchased a rifle from a member here on the LRH Forum. The member sent it to my FFL and I needed to file new registration with the government. My FFL charged me $25 to accept the rifle from the seller and another $100 to process the paperwork. Is this a fair amount, not complaining, just curious?
Mike
That seems pretty high. Of course i will not do any of this work for customers unless they have a CWP to prevent the need to do background check. This is not my business though, i am a firearm manufacturer, not dealer so there is a difference. When i do bring a firearm in for a customer i charge $25 total. not sure why he would charge for a firearm to come to his shop and then charge again, 4 times more to send it with you. The paperwork is not worth $125. Sounds like he is making hay while the sun is shining on the backs of fellow shooting enthusiasts. Dont like that!!😡

Just had a local FFL ship a pistol to a manufacturer for me(to resolve an issue). I could have done it myself, the manufacturer sent me a FedEx label for this. But as mentioned earlier, I am cursed, so I had a dealer do it for me.
He is charging $35 to send & $35 to receive. This, because he is transferring the gun into his name, and later back to mine for this..

Seems excessive process & expense-wise. And it seems liability for him.
If FedEx disappears my gun, it's in the dealers name now. It's fully on him to make it right for me as well. I had just paid $650 for the gun.
This is the first time I've had an FFL ship for me, so maybe that's normal.