284 Win

srhaggerty

I am changing my current Savage 11 by barreling it from 7mm-08 to 284 Win. I am thinking I will use 6.5-284 brass and use a .277 expander and then finish sizing it up to .284. The other option I thought of was to just fireform the 6.5-284 brass.

Which method would you guys use?

My brother and I just sized them up with an expander mandrel (liberally lubed up) and shot them. I also anneal immediately after the first sized shot. I'm not sure you need to do so, but I was also adding some capacity to the case so mine is more of a .284 Improved.

JEffVN

I just take it straight out of the box and neck it up to 7mm with an expander mandrel. Ive used used that method and set records and won high level matches with it right out of the box unfired. Lapua brass.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

Ryan it was nice talking to you on the phone the other morning. Just an fyi I didn't get the invoice for the brake thru email yet.

I did think about taking it straight out but the expander was only 25 bucks so not a big loss. Plus I can just buy the additional mandrel to take it out to 284.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts