284 wIN.

nfhjr62

Thinking of re-barreling my Savage 10 BAS to 284 win. all that's needed is the barrel, BUT not sure it's going to be the all worth it.
bullets.com now has Exclusively brought in a large lot of Norma brass

Isn't this a 308?

Before you spend the money, get a few pieces of ammo and see how it feeds from magazine. The fat case with its 35 degree shoulder doesn't always feed well without alterations. The changes could cause issues should you ever go back to the 308.

If you intend to shoot anything heavier than 168 gr like the 180 Berger you will need a faster twist and more room in your magazine or the bullet will be buried in the case. Those long high BC bullets and the 284 win are often used as a single shot or long action is used if it is to be a repeater.

Not sure what you are hoping to gain. While I would agree the 284 may help you with downrange wind drift issues you might be able to load a higher BC 30 cal bullet in the 308 case far more easily and for a heck of lot less money.

Thanks for the info have a lot to think about, sometimes i overthink and i do have some Berger 185gr. Juggernaut bullets and they DO shoot very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.