284 Win Hunting Load Opinion

Roughrice

Calling on Gurus...
Worked on a like new custom Tikka T3 with Lilja 9T 3 groove 22" #4 for suppressed hunting today for 400 yard and under hunting.
It shoots groups like I'd expect but a tad slower than I'd like...but It's 22" which I know isn't ideal for 284 Win.
The picture is near the final load development.
Speed is 2850+/- for both loads in the picture...

The only difference was primer used.
Which load would you settle for?

Did I drop the last shot on the lower group...maybe. But I've done this 3 times and every one was like this. Top is a clover and bottom is 2 in a hole and another under .4 away. All groups are always about the same measurement between the two.

I like clovers.
Two in the hole looks sweet.
Either is acceptable to me.

I would just like to hear what the pros think.

Attachments

• 284 Win.jpg
    284 Win.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 56
Definitely at 100!
I only wish I could shoot that at 400!
Good suggestion!
I may back off to 200 and sling them again.

I actually shot the load with one primer out to 200 and poi was just over 1/2" apart.
Then I decided to try the other primer…should have never done that!
Decisions decisions decisions! Lol

Thanks.

Last edited:
Tagging in to see what others recommend. I have a 24" benchmark 8 twist chambered in 284 WIn I haven't shot yet. I'm leaning towards a light and fast mono like a 120 HH for deer out to 500 yds max.

My 284 shoots the 120HH at

Hammer 120 HH​
IMR-4166 54.0 gr​
6​
Peterson​
Unis LR​
3.02​
3361m​
0.109​
4​
3​

The FPS is noted in my post, 3361 fps measured by labradr, ES 4, 22" barrel, grp .109
They have dropped a few deer. Full penetration and destroy the lungs. Same for the 75 HH in my 257AI. So far nothing has stopped the hammers. The shank tumbled on a deer I took last year with my 338 RCM, 175 HH and it exited sideways. Nice rectangular exit hole

Thanks Seabeeken. Sorry I missed the velocity in your post. Been hesitant to place an order for hammers, as I'm waiting for the new prototype to be released. Sounds like they're getting closer and testing has gone well from what I've read. I run hammers in a few guns right now. They've been great.

Thanks Seabeeken. Sorry I missed the velocity in your post. Been hesitant to place an order for hammers, as I'm waiting for the new prototype to be released. Sounds like they're getting closer and testing has gone well from what I've read. I run hammers in a few guns right now. They've been great.
No worries, I didn't do the best job labeling it. Copied out of my spreadsheet