284 Bbl. Question

hunter966

Howdy all, I've been thinking about a build centered on a 284 and was wondering if using a barrel close to the same dimensions as a standard remington contour, although I would want it a tad heavier, and have it finished out at 26".

What I'm thinking about is a rifle a little heavier than a standard rifle but still light enough to carry.

My dealer has Benchmark and Krieger bbls. In stock and would like to hear opinions about which one to choose. I would like to shoot a fairly heavy bullet.

Howdy all, I've been thinking about a build centered on a 284 and was wondering if using a barrel close to the same dimensions as a standard remington contour, although I would want it a tad heavier, and have it finished out at 26".

What I'm thinking about is a rifle a little heavier than a standard rifle but still light enough to carry.

My dealer has Benchmark and Krieger bbls. In stock and would like to hear opinions about which one to choose. I would like to shoot a fairly heavy bullet.

The standard sporter barrel is around a #3 contour and a magnum is close to a #4 contour.

A #5 weighs less than 1/2 pound more (4 tenths) than a #4 in most barrel brands, So look at a contour chart of the barrel brand you want to use and then you can decide.

J E CUSTOM

Krieger would be my choice between those two but they won't build a 7mm barrel out of Stainless steel in a #4 contour. The smallest they list is a #5 but I think they will let you modify the muzzle diameter of a #5 to make it smaller. If you want a Chromoly barrel, you can have whatever you want all the way down to a #0 contour.

Mines just a dream, in the smith's hands
But I went with a standard palma at 26 inches. Defiance deviant. 1:9. Planning on shooting 162-168 class which will be what it's throated for
Lapua brass chamber with a neck that will allow a good clean of neck sized 6.5x284 brass. My weight goal was 10 pounds for the rifle. Should make it. I think

Hoping the 162 amax start hitting the shelf but have 162sst and 168 bergers to play with and a bunch of h4831sc. And cci br2s

I think your problem comes from "My dealer has Benchmark and Krieger barrels in stock". If you can't buy exactly what you want off the shelf,,,,,,, order what it is that you do want. Benchmark and Krieger are both good barrels for your application as are many others. I can't speak for either ones lead times, but the last Hart I ordered only took about six weeks from order to my shop. If you settle for what's available "in stock", chances are you'll be making a compomise.

Order what YOU want. It's about you not what is in stock.

As for twist, IIWM 8tw

For my 284 used a Lilja barrel it was Rem sporter contour @ 30" and was cut down to 27".
http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/pdf_barrel_drawings/factory/remsp30.PDF

I had Channlyn barrel on it before 7x57 and one Jim Borden Rimrock stock and that rem contour fits barrel channel.

It's just little under 10lbs and had rifle about 4yrs and now that I'm almost 73 makes for good packing rifle. I build it more for the 160gr and 168gr bullets and has 1/9 twist and it's not a SAAMI spec throat so take advantage of it being on a long action. My best accuracy has been around 2900 to 2950fps and I have shot few of the Berger 180gr VLD but not the bullet for that rifle.

I've never shot a Benchmark barrel and post you read they seem to be good one and I have few Kreiger on some of my builds and they shoot. As to 1/8 twist for the 180gr be a good choice but you may want to run some ballistic tables.

Well good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.