6.5-284 Question

Randy338

Is there a difference in a 6.5-284 Winchester and a 6.5-284 Norma or Lapua round...If so what is it?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Marriedman, The caliber is 6.5/284. The rest of your list just denotes who made the brass. Originally, parent case was the 284 Winchester, so some folks still tag on the name. The wildcat was simply necked down to 6.5 and used by the long range (originally high power) crowd. Hopes thid helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The reason I was asking was that I read somewhere that the Winchester Brass runs around .496 on the base and the Lapua at .500"..so if you cut a chamber for the 6.5-284Win the Lapua Brass would not fit in the chamber.BUT if you cut it for the 6.5-284Norma then all the brass would work fine.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wapiti13, you are essentially correct, but, becuase it was initially a wildcat and there was a parallel development period, there is a slight variation and two versions exist/existed.

The 6.5-284 "Norma" has slightly greater capacity than the 6.5-284 "Winchester". The first US manufacturer of 6.5-284 brass was Hornady, and there is a capacity difference of several grains between brass commercially produced by Hornady and that made by Norma & Lapua.

I have the Norma chamber and learned this dif the hard way, by wasting powder on starting loads meant for the Hornady version. My top loads exceed Win/Hornady brass by 4-5 grains, a HUGE and aggravating difference when one is working up loads at .3 increments. . .

Man this has been a long day....And I am correct for once...I talked to Dave Kiff and the Norma reamer is what you must have if you plan on using Norma or Lapua Brass... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Man I been working on that answer all day long...So i am going with the 6.5-284 Norma match...300 neck with 188 freebore. In my 12 year old sons hunting rifle..Lapua Brass and 140 Grain Wildcat Bonded Bullet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I got a 300win when I was twelve but I was a brute for a 12year old. that 6.5 will rock anythings world he is shooting at.

Well he did kill a nice buck at 200 yards last year with my 338 RUM shooting 210 grain scirroco at 3200fps....It is braked but he loves it also..But the 6.5-284 will be very cute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.