.284 189 grain cauterucio

oldmossy

Trying to find the best long range hunting bullet for the 7MM AM. In line for a new rifle, and need some advice/hunting stories to help me decide what to go with. I'm a big fan of the 180 berger vld, but can't get full potential from the rifle with those bullets. Wondering how the 189s will do from 500-1000 yds when it comes to expansion. Hoping to be 3300 to 3400fps. Or if I should go with the 180 hybrids. Been trying to find info on the jacket thicknesses of the two, but no luck so far. Any field testing information from any of the cauterucio sierra jackets welcome.gun)

I can't answer for the cauterucios but matrix makes a 190 vld. It uses the j4 jacket and is designed very similar to the Berger so in theory it would have the same expansion characteristics. Just another option for you... Good luck!

Bob could answer any questions you might have on the bullet construction. I shot the 6.5/ 155gr last year, they performed quite well when the impact velocity got down to 2600fps. Above that they did not exit, but everything was very dead.
Cliff

You may drop a line to Marshal at Matrix ballistics, he's been working with thicker Corbin jackets that should survive the more aggressive launch of the 270 AM's but I don't know if he has anything in 7mm.

7 Dakota at 3100 mv and Cauterucio 180's

I killed lots at 600 to 700. Good bullet. lately I shoot Bergers.

I ordered 500 cauterucio bullets. seen they had the highest bc of the bullets brian tested. hopefully with a launch around 3300, they will kill good out to 1000 yds or so.

I ordered 500 cauterucio bullets. seen they had the highest bc of the bullets brian tested. hopefully with a launch around 3300, they will kill good out to 1000 yds or so.

How long ago did you order those? ..I've called and left messages with none returned. Tried up to a week ago or so. Had seen comments from a guy on another board saying Robert had retired from bullets ??

I have no idea whether that's true, but judging from my messages not being returned, I assumed maybe he did* ??? I don't know.

Can anyone confirm otherwise? ..I'd keep trying. Would really like to get my hands on some 189's for my lazzeroni 7mm I'm having re-barreled. Bergers were blowing up originally, the Cauterucios supposedly have a thicker jacket (& shouldn't blow) Would like trying some..

I've been talking with Bob for last 2 months. He is still making bullets. I bought all the 189s he had. You calling the right number? 650-583-1550

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.