280AI question

The Oregonian

I have a 280 on order but may change it up to an AI.

My question is about the confusion over the Ackley version and the Nosler version. Which one would you recommend? The thought of having Nosler brass, although expensive, is appealing...in addition, factory ammo is available in a pinch as well.

Any preferences or opinions from folks with more experience? Not sure what the pros / cons of each are, or if it really abut trying to get brass that is most readily available (I know I can fire form, but putting that aside for now as I can do that with both).

If you plan on reloading using new Nosler .280 AI brass, which is formed to the true SAAMI specs, I'd go with a Nosler/SAAMI .280 AI.

If you are going to fire-form your own brass, either way would be fine, from what I can see.

Not that it's worth anything, but when I get mine built it will be chambered to SAAMI/Nosler spec.

I have a 280 on order but may change it up to an AI.

My question is about the confusion over the Ackley version and the Nosler version. Which one would you recommend? The thought of having Nosler brass, although expensive, is appealing...in addition, factory ammo is available in a pinch as well.

Any preferences or opinions from folks with more experience? Not sure what the pros / cons of each are, or if it really abut trying to get brass that is most readily available (I know I can fire form, but putting that aside for now as I can do that with both).

My 280AI is chamber for the SAAMI Spec 280AI and I use Nosler brass and I've done a number Ackley's over the years. Beside the 280AI I'm loading for the 222AI,223AI and 35 WhelenAI so for me it wouldn't make a bit of difference which one I had but I made a choice based on not having to fire form brass.

I had bushing dies made for the 222AI and 35 WhelenAI so I wouldn't have a problem doing dies for the "OTHER" 280AI if I did that one. Sometime I think I should of done the other 280AI
Well good luck

I had bushing dies made for the 222AI and 35 WhelenAI so I wouldn't have a problem doing dies for the "OTHER" 280AI if I did that one. Sometime I think I should of done the other 280AI
Well good luck

Don't mean to hijack this thread but who made your dies and what was the approx. time/cost??

Check out this thread. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/280-ack-imp-40-degrees-vs-nosler-brass-112533/

There is some debate on whether there really ARE two different chambers, or if they are measured off of different datums and are actually identical. If it were me, I'd request the SAAMI chamber just so I know whatever I choose to run in it will not have excess headspace. Even then, Nosler has me confused enough I'd probably keep fire forming.

On another note, I love my 280AI. Bet you will too!

I have a custom 280AI, it was built on a Rem 700ADL, it came with some fire formed 280 brass and I have been using nosler brass with no issues.

There is always fact and fiction. Wood's started posting on the 24hr about his 280AI that was build by Hart in 2008 and he had some feeding problem along with donut from using Nosler 280AI brass. I was interested in his post because wife had a 280AI build 2006 and he had some good loads plus he listed dies he used.

What's your favorite bullet for a 280AI? - 24hourcampfire

If your a member on 24hr you can click on his name see all the post on that rifle up to his problems with 280AI brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.