.280ai question

SoDak636

So I'm building a "budget" long range hunting rifle on a Rem 783, planning on doing a criterion prefit and a Boyds stock using the factory dbm. I'm wanting to do a .280ai, the problem is the factory Dbm measures 3.395 internally. My question is will I still be able to run the long heavy bullets(175gr ELD-x, 168vld, 175 classic hunters) out of the .280ai and still keep c.o.a.l. Under 3.395? Or would I maybe be better off building a .284 instead?

If there using a saami spec reamer your better off to go with 140's
I haven't had a chance to talk to James at northland shooter supply yet, but a quick google search said the .280ai match chamber from cbi has is throated longer for eld/cold bullets, and that it had .170 free bore. I'm guessing it may be in my best interest to give James at northland or cbi a call and go from there?

I'm at 3.45 with 168 vlds and coincidentally, 3.39 with the 162 eldx, but I've found the eldx to like a bit of jump. I'm .060 off with the eldx, you might get away with that.
2920 out of a 25" barrel is the load I settled on.

A 170 freebore would be good for performance but i am pretty it would not fit n a 3.395 mag with the bullet seated properly for the longer bullets

I'm at 3.45 with 168 vlds and coincidentally, 3.39 with the 162 eldx, but I've found the eldx to like a bit of jump. I'm .060 off with the eldx, you might get away with that.
2920 out of a 25" barrel is the load I settled on.
I'm looking at doing a 27" barrel and was hoping to run the 175eldx at 2750-2800, I'd like to keep it as a repeater, hence why I'm curious as to being able to stay mag length with the .280 or possibly going .284. Only downside I see to the .284 is brass availability.

Last edited:
You should have no problem running that velocity even with a shorter throat. The velocity you are trying to attain changes things a bit.

That sounds pretty low to me? Basing that on my 280 Sherman Which should only be about 50-75' faster than the A
I. The Sherman will run past 3000 easily with a 175….....rich

The magwell opening in the receiver measures 3.545, and I know PTG makes a bottom metal for my action, that would probably use the 3.516 mags I would think. Would that give me room to run the bigger bullets out far enough?

Maybe you should consider a 280 Sherman if you want it short throated but still with good velocity? It is the same parent as your A.I. Check and see what a saami A.I. coal would be and have your smith chamber with the A.I. reamer to establish the neck and throat dimension and then clean up the chamber with my 6.5 Sherman reamer. That would the velocity you want and still maintain your coal. Just a thought.....rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.