280ai and 168 vld

I would like to know if I'm on the right track. I done a seating depth test in .040 increments from .010 to .130. at 300 yds. .050 had the best horizontal spread with less than 1". All had 4" - 5" vertical. All were tested with H1000. Each depth was with 3 shots.

I was going to powder charge test next with .050 seating depth and .3 gr powder increments with 1 shot at each charge to find best vertical.

Is this a good approach ?

What your proposing is a ladder load, but your not looking for the highest poi, your looking for where your rifle shows pressure signs and 3 consecutive powder charges that settle together, and/or if you are using a chrony a powder range where your velocity is most stable.

Good luck...I'm still trying to get the 168 Bergers shooting in my 280ai tried with but nothing better than 1 MOA.

Gave them a break and trying the 162 ELD-x with H4831sc

What your proposing is a ladder load, but your not looking for the highest poi, your looking for where your rifle shows pressure signs and 3 consecutive powder charges that settle together, and/or if you are using a chrony a powder range where your velocity is most stable.

Good luck...I'm still trying to get the 168 Bergers shooting in my 280ai tried with but nothing better than 1 MOA.

Gave them a break and trying the 162 ELD-x with H4831sc

I'm still tweaking 168 VLDs in my 280ai, as well. Best groups so far are .62 and .66 with 59 graims MRP at .050 off the lands getting 2900 fps. I've seated all the way from .005 to .130 and .050 was by far the best....I'm going to try .040 and .060, hoping to get to 1/2 MOA or better. If that doesn't do it, I'm going to try H4831sc. I just don't want to lose the velocity I'm getting with MRP....it's also giving me 3200+ with 140 VLDs also at .050 from lands and .6+/- groups at 100 yds.

Hmm, I'm having issues getting the 168 VLD to shoot in my 280ai as well. For me, closer to the lands seemed better, but I'll get 2 touching and 1 about an inch away. My next round of testing will be touching the lands, and then 0.005" jam. I'm using RL26.

In parallel I've started testing the 168 Barns LRX with both RL26 and 4000 MR.

I have till January before my cow elk hunt starts, but I'm getting nervous. If nothing works, I'm sure I can get the 160 grain Accubond to shoot with H4831sc.

For those with VLD problems, try seating them to around .015" off the lands, and tweak your powder charge for accuracy and constancy.

Have you tried the 168 classic hunter? Was very easy to load develop in my 280AI. 58.5 gr of 4831SC for a velocity of 2880 fps. Cooper has a 24" barrel so velocity is a bit low. Could push it harder as it is not at max but why bother when it is accurate and easy on brass.

Have you tried the 168 classic hunter? Was very easy to load develop in my 280AI. 58.5 gr of 4831SC for a velocity of 2880 fps. Cooper has a 24" barrel so velocity is a bit low. Could push it harder as it is not at max but why bother when it is accurate and easy on brass.

Do the Classic Hunters work the same way as the VLDs? In 2-3" then expand/shrapnel?
Same jacket construction?

I believe that the classic hunters react the same as far as expansion goes. I think that the main difference is that the classic hunter is more like the hybrid design of the shape of the bullet. Therefor not as sensitive to seating depth as a VLD. I have not shot any game with them so I can not say how they work. I basically loaded up to just under mag length and worked up with powder till I was happy with accuracy and velocity. Other than the 215 Berger; these were very easy to get to shoot.

I believe that the classic hunters react the same as far as expansion goes. I think that the main difference is that the classic hunter is more like the hybrid design of the shape of the bullet. Therefor not as sensitive to seating depth as a VLD. I have not shot any game with them so I can not say how they work. I basically loaded up to just under mag length and worked up with powder till I was happy with accuracy and velocity. Other than the 215 Berger; these were very easy to get to shoot.

Good to hear! Thanks

Got my Ackley shooting good with the 168 VLDs(pic attached)......009" off the lands(.29 group was marked wrong when pic was taken) @ 2911 fps average with ES of 37.

Attachments

• IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 73
And with 145 LRXs @ .030 off the lands and 3041 fps average with ES of 26. Might try to get a little more velocity....would like to see 3100!

Attachments

• IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.