280AI...168 VLD...Retumbo

MTGunner

I began my ladder tests today at my impromptu range out in the desert. The sky clear, wind SW @ 5 mph at an elevation of 4300', 72*. I have been loading the 168 VLD hunting with Retumbo starting at 59.0 gr. and up to 62.0 gr. The best results were shown at 62.0 gr. seated at 3.750. The best five shot group measured .750 +/- . I have been looking for a long range hand load with a slow burning powder and believe I have found what I am looking for. Next, work with seating depths to find the sweet spot. MTG

Nice!

I haven't gotten very far with my load development. I've only gotten as far as barrel break-in on my 280 AI.

I'm using RL26 and those same 168 grn VLD Hunting. I did chrono my break-in rounds, and at 59.0 grns RL26, I was just about 2840 fps @ 35 F. I should be able to get up to 61.5 grns @ 2950 fps (24" barrel).

Love the 280 Ackley :cool:

The only draw back with the 280I - 168 VLD - Retumbo combination we have found is the fact that the 280AI brass gets pretty full. As you get up in grains of powder it's anywhere from a semi compressed load to a compressed load. Load accordingly and you'll be fine.

Yes, it is near a compressed load. I employ the swirl method to fill with powder, do not tamp, let the powder fall normal. I will now begin to work up seating depth to seek best groupings. I did notice that the first loads had some minor primer cratering...but I like a small bit of pressure. I will load some Nosler 160 gr. Accubonds to seek accuracy and perhaps long range work. I will employ IMR4831, H4831SC, H1000 qnd retumbo. Will keep this forum updated. MTG

Primer cratering by itself doesn't always mean excessive pressure. Other factors can cause that like primer cup metallurgy and the diameter of the firing pin hole being too large. If you don't have a heavy bolt lift and no ejector marks on the brass you're probably just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.