280 remington

outdooraddict

Does anyone have expereince with the 280 remington I found a heck of a deal on one and was wondering about performance. Can I use it for a backup elk rifle say inside 300yds. and deer to maybe 400 or so? It is a brownig a-bolt with a lupy vx-III scope and he only wants 400 for it the scope is worth more than that. Thanks all

Buy it. I have a 700 and an A-Bolt Medallion in 280 Rem and they are great guns. My 700 has had a lot of Mule Deer time in Montana and Wyoming and has been a great deer caliber. I have taken it Elk hunting but always felt a little undergunned and have gone back to the 300 WM. I currently shoot the Hornady 154 Spire Point at around 2850 fps and it consistently puts 3 in one hole @ 100 yds. Good Luck!

I have hunted with the 280 for years. Got my first remington left hand action in 280. The throat can be extended so that you can set the bullets farther out of the cases. Helpps when loading larger weight bullets and getting a little more velocity. I get 2950 fps out of 55.5 grains of 4350 with a 139 grain Hornady (my standard deer load) Have harvested all my deer with the 280. Last fall my deer was shot at 320 yards distance (by rangefinder) Have always found it to be an accurate cartridge. Love it and would second the decision to buy one. Have four of them myself.

Definitely buy it. But I am a bit biased (check my screen name). You're right, even if the gun were a piece of crap, the scope is worth $400.

The 280Rem is an awesome caliber. It is the first rifle I bought and now I'm about the send it off to be rebarreled. With the rebarreling, I could have chosen any caliber I wished. I stuck to the 280. I've taken deer with from very close range out to 300 yards. One shot was all it took almost every time.

From everything that I have read, the benchmark for energy on deer is 1000lbs. The 280 carries that kind of energy out to 500 yards. The benchmark for elk is 1500lbs. The 280 carries that to 300 yards. Shotting at elk, I would want a well constructed bullet like the Nosler partition.

The other great thing about the 280 is if you handload for it, you have an abundance of bullets to choose from.

The 280 Rem is a very good cartridge. Load it with 160 gr PT's and you have yourself an elk round. No worries on elk at 300 yds so long as you put the bullet where it needs to go.

Load it up with a 140 gr bullet and you have a nice relatively flat shooting deer rifle. The 140 gr BT kills deer like lighting.

I would grab that rifle/scope, its a good deal. You will really like the 280 Rem.
I've got some good load data if you need it.

JD338

Thanks guys I picked it up this morning now I am trying to figure out the twist of the barrel a article I read said the 280 could have anything from a 9 up to a 12 twist that could be wrong but I still want to know.

Thanks guys I picked it up this morning now I am trying to figure out the twist of the barrel a article I read said the 280 could have anything from a 9 up to a 12 twist that could be wrong but I still want to know.

Congratulations on your new 280 Rem.
Use your cleaning rod to determin the twist, most llikely its a 1:91/4".

JD338

OK thanks guys now If I can trouble you again whats a good load I like the looks and data on the bergers like I said deer and elk inside 300yds also a real light load for coyotes maybe:D some 100gr hornady hollow points. Thanks a ton ;)

I have used a 280 for deer and antelope out to 500 yards. The load I use is a 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip, with 51.5 grains of IMR 4350 and Fed 210's. My average fps is 2816 on a 10 rd string. This load works fantastic on deer and antelope. Dno't know about Elk, as I use a bigger gun.

The 280 Rem is a great caliber! Both my son and I own 280 Rem guns. His is a Ruger 77 Mark II and mine is a Remington 700 CDL. I have shot one deer with mine and he has shot 2 with his. All three were shot with 140 Nosler Accubond bullets, RL-19 powder in Rem. case, and WLR primers. I used the Nolser #5 Manual as my guide in loading both guns.

If I were going to shoot elk with this gun I would load 160 Accubonds or 140 TSX bullets. I have a great load using the Barnes TSX bullets and RL-22 powder.

I have shot paper with Bergers, however I have had no experience using them on game animals.

Last edited:
I have not used the bergers, but I am shooting deer at 600+ yards with 57g of N560 behind a moly coated 162g AMAx- it chrono's at 2830, shoots better than 1/2MOA out to 500 yards and just flattens everything that I've shot with it.
The 280 is a good deer round, feeds well and lets you use the high bc 7mm projectiles at a reasonable velocity without excess recoil in a rifle that can be carried in the high country all day without wearing yourself out. Sounds the business to me!
Regards
Ross

Chiming in

I also picked up a 280 for $400 buck recently...it was the Remington 700 DM Mountain Rifle. I'm just chiming in and appreciated the information on the loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts