280 remington

Goose71

I'm in thought for a 280 rem. For those which have this caliber. Do you wish u got a different caliber. Looking for pros and cons. Not so much for longrange 3/400 tops. I'm hunting some farms in northeast pa.

The .280 Rem and it's Ackley Improved version are exceptional cartridges. It would be perfect for your intended use.

If you handload, the newer Nosler/SAAMI .280 Ackley Improved would be something I would look into. You can buy high-quality factory loaded Nosler ammo and factory Nosler brass for it. Reloading dies are also easy to come by, and no more expensive than any other cartridge. If you reload, the Berger 168 VLD would be a great choice for hunting. I use them in my 7mmRM on whitetails.

There are two calibers that I have not been without, a 7mm STW and a .280 Rem. My .280 has taken many whitetail, Mule deer, my largest elk and black bear. My current .280 is on a trued 700 action with a 26" Krieger in a EH-1 stock. Shoots under 1/4 moa. For your situation, you'll love the straight .280.

400 yards tops? 280 would be awesome. My first rifle was a .280 and it performed great on several mulies for me. I only sold it because it wouldn't hold zero in cold weather (walnut stock).

Great cartridge and it'll handle 500 without question.. For all intents and purposes it's very close to a 7 mm rm, I hardly think an animal will notice the difference between 2900/3100 ..lots of brass, cheap brass for this cartridge, mild recoil for what you get, great bullets and even some available factory cartridges in a hurry if needed...hard to beat if you could only have one for all...

I have a 280 and 2 7mm-08 and many others

I would take the 7mm-08 every day. difference of 100-150 fps.
If you want more reach and power go to the 280 AI or teh 7mag, but i tend to find my way to teh 7mm-08 in my safe when i want a 7mm. Sweet shooters, short actions, and the deer don't like them a bit.

Is the 280 a great cartridge. no doubt. and if that is what you want tehn you will have a great caliber.

SnT

I have two safes filled with different rifles,from 22 Rimfire to 338 Win mag..I love my 260 Rem.,I also love my 270 Win. and my 270WSM ,my two 308's but it almost always happens when I head out to hunt deer I pick up my 280 Rem..It is a Rem 700 CDL.

Though I like my 280, I love my 284. Running 140's should be no problem out of a short action. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't own a 280.

I have a remington 760 in 280. I handload it and inhandload it to max for certain circumstances. I have never had any issues with extraction, actually the recoil will **** near eject the cartridge for you with even factory loads. Mine loves an assortment of factory ammo. I'm a fan of the 154 sst and load it stout. My son asked me "dad if you could only keep one rifle and had unlimited ammo what would it be?" I said without hesitation , my 280. Check any load manuals and charts you want, its near the 06, and 7mm mag. For antelope and deer a 140 tsx might be the ticket or even the 120 smoking out of there at 3150. I love it and when a ruger number one in Stainless rears its head im gonna grab it. As stated by others 400 isnt too long a poke for that cartridge. I ring a 8 inch plate at 350 between beers off the hood of my jeep at my buddy's yard till its boring. Bullet selection is phenomenal, poweders it likes are many. I use a bunch of rl 22.and mrp. 4831 ..... what else do you have?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts