.280 AI

My cousin and son use 280AIs for deer and elk. We have killed elk out to 425 with ease. We have practiced out to 850 yards and it is not hard to ring steel at that range. This elk season 4 people scored 1st shot hits on steel at 850 yards. That was the 1st time they touched that rifle. Light recoil with 168s and H1000 at 2950 fps is a great combo.

I have a kimber hunter with a 24in barrell.
Up to elk and moose.
Bullets advised?
I've never killed an elk. Quite a few Alaskan moose. On those large of animals, perhaps 750yds is a more reasonable maximum distance shot with a 280 AI.

I bought one for my 13 year son for deer hunting and he loves it. I am going to buy a 2nd one and make it my Deer and Antelope gun, and use it as my backup to my 28 Nosler for elk.

Like most things, it all depends...

With respect to the potential for long range shots on Alaskan moose, it depends entirely on the terrain and vegetation where hunting the moose. Long shots are very possible if spotting from hillside to hillside, or even from mountainside to lower elevation.

And lung shot moose die pretty quickly, provided the bullet expands properly, in my experiences.