280 AI : Any Down Side To Fire Forming With All Copper Bullets?

PA Plumber

Hello All...
Have reloaded for a few years but not an expert by any meaning of the definition.
I really like the X Bolt safety and bolt release so brought one home with me this week.
Since I have a 280, I have almost all the components to reload for the 280 AI.

Two questions:
1 - When Fire forming, is there any negative to using monolithic bullets?
Purchased some 139 Hornady GMX seconds a couple of years ago on clearance. Cup and core better?

2 - What die set?
I do full length resize for everything I shoot and have had good luck doing this.

Thanks!

The die set has worked itself out.
RCBS Full Length die set is to be here in a couple of days.

Did order some "cheaper" cup and core bullets that listed as in stock. Just got a notification that says they should be here in May. Oooof.
Now back to likely using the monos.

Don't know about mono's. Never used em.
Can't think of a reason not to with reduced load.
I've always used cheapest bullet I found for fireforming 280 brass.

Unfortunately, the clearance monos are the cheapest I have at the moment. The rest of my .284 bullet stock is Barnes.
I have at least 40 once fired Federal cases I'm going to lightly anneal before FF. Plan to start that process today.

I usually load light touching of the lands for fireforming.
I do know that some copper monos can cause pressure early if loaded like cup and core.
Perhaps someone else with experience can chime in.
I wouldn't be afraid to try em at 20% under charge especially that they are only 139 grain.

Thank you for the responses.
Went to mount the rings today and found I was sent 30mm instead of the 1" ones I ordered.
A little delay, but no biggie. Got the Federal 280 brass lightly annealed.
Looking forward to getting this new rifle together and seeing what it will do at the range.

My fire forming to an Ackley Improved chamber is usually not "light". I load for middle of the road charge weight of the parent case, bullet at the lands. So look at .280Rem loads, and go right in the middle for whatever powder you plan to use. I like a bit on the fast burn side to give that initial "pop" for a quick expansion of brass rather than a slow burning powder.

Grafs Reloading has 7mm 150gr HPBT Privi Partizans in stock for 35 cents a bullet. I've been using the Privi Partizan 174gr SP with a 51gr charge of RL22 that I had leftover from another project. They seem to work well. I jam them about 0.010 into the lands and have had good results. I'm also using the standard RCBS 280 AI dies.

Yep. When I said light... I meant lower
My fire forming to an Ackley Improved chamber is usually not "light". I load for middle of the road charge weight of the parent case, bullet at the lands. So look at .280Rem loads, and go right in the middle for whatever powder you plan to use. I like a bit on the fast burn side to give that initial "pop" for a quick expansion of brass rather than a slow burning powder.
I Agree.
When I say light, when bullet is in the lands... I stay safely away from max with faster powder and they do fine.
He was going to try to use copper monos so I suggested to back off a little more...just to be safe.

I think my local guy might have the .284 Privi Partizan bullets in stock. I saw them the last time I stopped by but I hadn't made a final decision on the gun/caliber yet. He's out of commission due to some health complications, but I will see what he has when he's back up and at'em.

Thanks for the info on the Barnes match burners. will look into that also.

I have a bunch of H4350 and a little H414. Was going to start with the H4350. I do have some H4831SC ordered, but can't get it until my local guy opens back up.

Hello All...
Have reloaded for a few years but not an expert by any meaning of the definition.
I really like the X Bolt safety and bolt release so brought one home with me this week.
Since I have a 280, I have almost all the components to reload for the 280 AI.

Two questions:
1 - When Fire forming, is there any negative to using monolithic bullets?
Purchased some 139 Hornady GMX seconds a couple of years ago on clearance. Cup and core better?

2 - What die set?
I do full length resize for everything I shoot and have had good luck doing this.

Thanks!
That's probably the best use of the GMX as they are woefully unreliable and inconsistent on game.

I'm happy with my Hornady and Redding dies.