280 AI Reloder 16

koonazz

Ok background, I have a CA Ridgeline that's wearing a custom stock (I did'nt care for the stock it came with and "bedding" was a joke). The barrel is marked 1:9 but according to my measurements its appox 1:9.5. I've tried heavy bergers which it does'nt like and 143 gr hammer hunters, much better but still not quite where it should be accuracywise. Steve at Hammer suggested I try Rl 16. I also plan to try the 131 gr Heavy Hammers since they dont require as fast of a twist. I've looked through the load data thread several different times but have'nt seen this combo yet. Is anyone out there loading 131gr or 143 gr hammers with RL 16? Not asking for recipes just a decent starting point. Not sure if I can use the 130 gr 280 Rem max load as a starting load since the hammers behave a little different.

Reloder 16 and h 4831 shot amazing in my rifle but i was using barnes at the time. Havent tested the hammers yet

I ran your combo in QL. I adjusted the shot start (initiation) pressure to 6525 psi for reflect the copper bullet. All other info (i.e., COAL, H2O capacity, etc.) are QL presets.

Attachments

• 280AI 131 Hammer Heavy RL16.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 115
Ok background, I have a CA Ridgeline that's wearing a custom stock (I did'nt care for the stock it came with and "bedding" was a joke). The barrel is marked 1:9 but according to my measurements its appox 1:9.5. I've tried heavy bergers which it does'nt like and 143 gr hammer hunters, much better but still not quite where it should be accuracywise. Steve at Hammer suggested I try Rl 16. I also plan to try the 131 gr Heavy Hammers since they dont require as fast of a twist. I've looked through the load data thread several different times but have'nt seen this combo yet. Is anyone out there loading 131gr or 143 gr hammers with RL 16? Not asking for recipes just a decent starting point. Not sure if I can use the 130 gr 280 Rem max load as a starting load since the hammers behave a little different.
Since it is 9.5" let's look at the 131 Hammer Hunter. A bit sexier than the 131g heavy Hammer Hunter. Let's start rl16 at 58g and work up from there. Hoping to see about 3300 fps with this combo.

I ran your combo in QL. I adjusted the shot start (initiation) pressure to 6525 psi for reflect the copper bullet. All other info (i.e., COAL, H2O capacity, etc.) are QL presets.
Something's not jiving with that data. Alliant lists 57.4 grains of RL 16 with a 130 gr bullet as a max load in 280 REM. This is an Ackley. According to quickload the book charge weight for the parent is a near max load for the Ackley. Never seen that before. I've always been led to believe the parent max was starting load for Ackley.

Since it is 9.5" let's look at the 131 Hammer Hunter. A bit sexier than the 131g heavy Hammer Hunter. Let's start rl16 at 58g and work up from there. Hoping to see about 3300 fps with this combo.
Gotcha. Already bought the heavy hammers a month ago. Dont have any hunters on hand. Same starting charge weight?

I have a CA Ridgeline in .280AI like yours and shoot 143 HH's. I struggled with load development in the beginning and tried H100V and RL16 with mixed results along with other popular powders for the .280AI. I stopped at 59gr RL16. After almost 200 rounds down the tube, it became a different rifle. Now I'm shooting 143's pushed by RL26 with consistent.5-.75" moa. FPS is just under 3200. I could go faster but accuracy is where I like it for my hunting. Rifle is pure stock with exception of me adjusting trigger.

I have a CA Ridgeline in .280AI like yours and shoot 143 HH's. I struggled with load development in the beginning and tried H100V and RL16 with mixed results along with other popular powders for the .280AI. I stopped at 59gr RL16. After almost 200 rounds down the tube, it became a different rifle. Now I'm shooting 143's pushed by RL26 with consistent.5-.75" moa. FPS is just under 3200. I could go faster but accuracy is where I like it for my hunting. Rifle is pure stock with exception of me adjusting trigger.
I have 240 rds through this one. I tried RL26 with the 168 Bergers but thought it would be way too slow for the mid range bullets. I'm gonna try the 16 with the 131s but I'm gonna keep that 26 in mind. Accuracy has improved with round count just not where it should be in my mind. Feel like I'm on the right track with it and will post results as I get the opportunity to load and test.

I have 240 rds through this one. I tried RL26 with the 168 Bergers but thought it would be way too slow for the mid range bullets. I'm gonna try the 16 with the 131s but I'm gonna keep that 26 in mind. Accuracy has improved with round count just not where it should be in my mind. Feel like I'm on the right track with it and will post results as I get the opportunity to load and test.
Please keep me posted. I'm confident you'll find the recipe your rifle prefers.